THE 2nd Soham Scouts have been busy, as usual. They recently won the Newmarket and District 5-a-side tournament. They are also busy raising money for their trip on the Thames Sailing Barge and, last weekend, a group of them paddled from Upware to Isleham
THE 2nd Soham Scouts have been busy, as usual. They recently won the Newmarket and District 5-a-side tournament.
They are also busy raising money for their trip on the Thames Sailing Barge and, last weekend, a group of them paddled from Upware to Isleham in canoes.
Bearing in mind that a Scout is aged between 10 and 14 and that they covered the 12 miles from Upware to Littleport in six and a half hours (including a fish and chip break in Ely) you have to admit that they did pretty well.
They might creep up on you soon as they are raising money to buy some new canoes. Health and safety decrees that the fibreglass ones they have at the moment must be replaced by plastic ones.
If they are going to make really good use of them as they did last weekend then it seems like a worthwhile place for anybody's cash.
- 1 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 2 Cinderella makes a comeback thanks to Players' Christmas pantomime
- 3 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 4 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 5 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 6 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 7 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 8 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 9 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 10 Huge spike in safety complaints due to 'bedroom sellers' during pandemic