Sorry That Mereham Is Still Alive and Kicking
I AM writing to the Ely Standard to say sorry that as of today s date Mereham still has breath and sorry that a body called The East of England Regional Assembly(EERA) which is not directly elected has given it mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. The drea
I AM writing to the Ely Standard to say 'sorry' that
as of today's date 'Mereham' still has breath and sorry that a body
called The East of England Regional Assembly(EERA) which is not directly elected has given it mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.
The dreadful proposal that is Mereham was rejected in 2008 by the whole democratic process, including the then Secretary of State, Hazel Blears.
You may also want to watch:
EERA asked in September/October, 2008 for suggestions from developers for proposals for large developments in the Eastern Region that might be taken forward between now and 2031. Of course, Barton Wilmore, the current pedlars of Mereham, threw Mereham into the ring. They did it after EERA's pre-announced submission date but EERA let it stand!
Merham has also been rejected on locational grounds but even so EERA let the thing be raised to torture us all again!
- 1 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 5 Fears for historic vicarage council fought to save
- 6 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 7 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 8 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 9 COLUMN: 'Expansion' the future for Ely rowing club
- 10 Large illegal knife and 45 cannabis plants found in police raid
Cambridgeshire County Council and East Cambs District Council have both declared Mereham as "No longer worthy of Consideration", Cambridgeshire County Council voted 49 votes to 0 to ask EERA to drop Mereham but still we have to worry. Council Officers are spending our precious time and money fighting this profit driven monster (and thank God they are). Is it right that in these times of financial restraint that local authorities have to spend Council Tax payer's money on such things as Mereham? The councils are doing a good job but why are EERA causing us so much distress?
I am sorry we have not beaten Mereham yet and I am sorry I am asking you to write to EERA and tell them what you think. We will be asking for volunteers to attend an EERA meeting soon but that is a few weeks away.
Please now write to:
East of England Regional Assembly
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk IP28 6EG
We will beat Mereham, we thank you for your support and remember please 'SAY NO TO MEREHAM'
County Councillor (Haddenham Division)
District Councillor (Stretham Ward)