Sorry, Can Someone Tell Me What Postwatch Did?
I AM amazed at the letter from Postwatch s (Letters, September 25) Linda McCord. Behind all the wall of words within the letter, what is clear is the absolute toothlessness of Postwatch as a watchdog for the consumer. What did Postwatch do? They scrutini
I AM amazed at the letter from Postwatch's (Letters, September 25) Linda McCord.
Behind all the wall of words within the letter, what is clear is the absolute toothlessness of Postwatch as a watchdog for the consumer. What did Postwatch do? 'They scrutinised', 'they encouraged', 'they 'worked' etc. etc. to ensure that Postoffice Ltd took into account responses submitted. Well, well - if the responses submitted were anything like those from Little Downham/Pymoor and Ely, which were vigorous, well thought out, and very much to the point, then Post Office Ltd. - as many suspected or said at the time - had already made up its mind?
The final result of all the work and input by we the consumers and the doughty efforts by Postwatch is a roll-over with the closures of 90 per cent of the branches originally proposed by Post Office Ltd. And the 16 out of 17 for Outreach replacement with action to start - oh so promptly in October 2008.
Postwatch in the letter is so obviously nothing but an apologist for Post Office Ltd. The final insult is in the statement Postwatch "welcomes these changes"' Well bless me, they saved seven branches out of 71 from closure and one out of 17 left in the Outreach portion.
You may also want to watch:
What a disgrace. That Post Office Ltd's actions have, in effect, gone against the Governments wishes that we all reduce our carbon footprint.
I would draw attention to the letter by Jeremy Friend Smith (25.09.08) in which he has made many valid points in respect of the Post Office in Ely High Street, now intended to serve all the villages in this area in East Cambs where Post Offices are being closed. It remains to be seen whether the promises made by Post Office Ltd actually happen.
- 1 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 4 Van driver in ‘life threatening condition’ after crash
- 5 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 6 Amazing escape for driver in A11 crash
- 7 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 8 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 9 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 10 100mph, 20-minute police pursuit ends with a crash – and later with jail
Perhaps as the number of Post Offices in the Eastern Region reduces we can expect the number of staff in (East) Postwatch to reduce?