Something in the air
THERE was certainly plenty of air about the other Thursday. It was charging at us from the Wicken/Stretham direction and rushing as fast as it could towards Isleham, bashing everything it could find on the way. Apart from the odd roof tile, tree branch
THERE was certainly plenty of air about the other Thursday.
It was charging at us from the Wicken/Stretham direction and rushing as fast as it could towards Isleham, bashing everything it could find on the way.
Apart from the odd roof tile, tree branch and the like there wasn't a great deal of damage. Soham's finest (the fire-fighters of Fountain Lane) had no gale-related calls at all. There didn't even appear to be too many supermarket bags hanging from the trees, always a sure sign of a bit of breeze.
The good folk of Isleham had to resort to candles for a while, but the power was fully restored to full power during the evening. The people who totally lost out because of the winds were the young people of Fordham.
You may also want to watch:
The secondary school aged youngsters of the village had been promised a youth club in a bus on the evening of January 18.
The project, which is based in Histon, is a double-decker fitted out with computers and game consoles and other equipment that those of us who own fountain pens don't understand.
- 1 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 4 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 5 Everything you need to know about Mad Hatters eco festival
- 6 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 7 Second World War and SAS hero remembered with new street signs
- 8 Election 2021: Counting gets under way in East Cambridgeshire
- 9 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 10 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
Unfortunately, due to the weather the operators wisely decided to abandon the visit. Not a bad idea when you remember that a double-decker had been thrown off the road at Stretham earlier in the day.
All is not lost, however, the bus is now due to come to Fordham Rec on Thursday, February 1, from 7pm to 9pm.
There used to be a youth club in the Victoria Hall and the only time we used a bus was to go to London to see the Beatles. How times have changed.