Soham does need a new supermarket - but developers should look to the south of the town
- Credit: Archant
AND so the supermarket fiasco goes on!
Let’s all get real, Soham does need more shopping than the town centre provides, even with Budgens and the Co-op.
Talk to most residents and they’ll tell you their main shop will be out of town, to Ely or Newmarket.
After saying that, I don’t think the proposed site at Townsend is ideal. Why not look to develop south side?
There is land along Fordham Road at Downfields, empty for years and surely more appropriate for supermarket development.
You may also want to watch:
Close to Downfields, not to mention Fordham, Wicken and the 100-plus houses being built on the old allotments.
Makes sense to me but knowing how the council normally behaves, we’ll be lucky to get anything we want.
- 1 Eight page enforcement notice wrapped round giant cuppa
- 2 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 3 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 4 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 5 Ely Museum team member retires after 16 years' service
- 6 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 7 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 8 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 9 'Every number is a lost life' - Worst Covid affected care homes in Cambs
- 10 Nail bars and car washes targeted in modern day slavery checks
I for one would like to walk to the shops and not have to drive.