Soham does need a new supermarket - but developers should look to the south of the town
- Credit: Archant
AND so the supermarket fiasco goes on!
Let’s all get real, Soham does need more shopping than the town centre provides, even with Budgens and the Co-op.
Talk to most residents and they’ll tell you their main shop will be out of town, to Ely or Newmarket.
After saying that, I don’t think the proposed site at Townsend is ideal. Why not look to develop south side?
There is land along Fordham Road at Downfields, empty for years and surely more appropriate for supermarket development.
Close to Downfields, not to mention Fordham, Wicken and the 100-plus houses being built on the old allotments.
Makes sense to me but knowing how the council normally behaves, we’ll be lucky to get anything we want.
- 1 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 2 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 3 A10 dualling facing new challenges
- 4 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 5 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 6 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 7 New cycling and walking routes strategy approved by council
- 8 Princess Eugenie comes to town in bid to tackle modern slavery
- 9 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 10 OPINION: Soham Station fiasco about to come to a conclusion, or is it?
I for one would like to walk to the shops and not have to drive.