Soham does need a new supermarket - but developers should look to the south of the town
- Credit: Archant
AND so the supermarket fiasco goes on!
Let’s all get real, Soham does need more shopping than the town centre provides, even with Budgens and the Co-op.
Talk to most residents and they’ll tell you their main shop will be out of town, to Ely or Newmarket.
After saying that, I don’t think the proposed site at Townsend is ideal. Why not look to develop south side?
There is land along Fordham Road at Downfields, empty for years and surely more appropriate for supermarket development.
You may also want to watch:
Close to Downfields, not to mention Fordham, Wicken and the 100-plus houses being built on the old allotments.
Makes sense to me but knowing how the council normally behaves, we’ll be lucky to get anything we want.
- 1 'Dedicated' PCSO retires after 12 years amid force funding cuts
- 2 Jail for bank card fraudster caught on CCTV
- 3 Prosecution threat against businesses found not to be Covid-19 secure
- 4 You can now watch Ely Cathedral’s rare Peregrine Falcons live 24/7
- 5 Man who died in road crash is named
- 6 Woman to travel 100km in her wheelchair to fundraise for autism charity
- 7 Outcry over new road which will pass through woodland
- 8 ‘Beloved’ primary school headteacher leaving after 16 years in Soham
- 9 Volunteer group's Covid-closure after raising £70,000 in 30 years
- 10 Letters: How could we afford 120 police officers for boat race?
I for one would like to walk to the shops and not have to drive.