Soham does need a new supermarket - but developers should look to the south of the town
- Credit: Archant
AND so the supermarket fiasco goes on!
Let’s all get real, Soham does need more shopping than the town centre provides, even with Budgens and the Co-op.
Talk to most residents and they’ll tell you their main shop will be out of town, to Ely or Newmarket.
After saying that, I don’t think the proposed site at Townsend is ideal. Why not look to develop south side?
There is land along Fordham Road at Downfields, empty for years and surely more appropriate for supermarket development.
You may also want to watch:
Close to Downfields, not to mention Fordham, Wicken and the 100-plus houses being built on the old allotments.
Makes sense to me but knowing how the council normally behaves, we’ll be lucky to get anything we want.
- 1 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 2 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 3 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 4 Flooding highlights outline of English Civil War fort as rain fills moat
- 5 Bronze pig found at bottom of garden could be worth £10,000
- 6 Vaccinated nurse tells of 'incredibly stressful' situation
- 7 Ely Cathedral's Covid-19 vaccination centre application was turned down
- 8 More GP surgeries prepare to give Covid-19 vaccinations
- 9 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 10 City runners out to go extra mile for charity cash
I for one would like to walk to the shops and not have to drive.