I FEEL compelled to reply to John Hill s (CEO, ECDC) letter in last week s Standard regarding this so-called huge success for Witchford recycling. How does he know there has not been any significant increase in black bin bags, has he been standing down at
I FEEL compelled to reply to John Hill's (CEO, ECDC) letter in last week's Standard regarding this so-called huge success for Witchford recycling. How does he know there has not been any significant increase in black bin bags, has he been standing down at Grunty Fen landfill site asking folk where they live? No, I didn't think so. I started my weekly visit to the landfill site halfway through the second week after the fortnightly collections had started, chiefly because the smell from the bin bags stored in my shed awaiting collection had attracted a rat to take up residence under my shed. I reported the sighting of the rat to ECDC and their response was to furnish me with the details of the pest control company the council use which would, of course, be at my expense.
We never had this problem until ECDC decided to start this fortnightly collection, which we were not consulted about and which was supposed to be a six-month trial period and has been extended to 12 months, and still with no prior consultation. How does Mr Hill explain the large number of folk I see each time I visit the site disposing of black bin bags no matter what day of the week it is? Why is it ECDC are the only district in Cambridgeshire not using wheely bins to dispose of rubbish? My wife and I previously lived in Devon before relocating back to Cambridgeshire four years ago where wheely bins are used very successfully and, from what I saw down there, they had no problems with recycling or rats.
My wife and I pay ECDC £1,100 a year for what we consider to be shoddy refuse disposal service. Come on ECDC make the money available and do the job properly.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 3 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 4 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 5 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 6 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 7 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 8 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 9 Superb acting, singing and dancing at KD Theatre musical
- 10 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing