Sainsbury Plan For Ely Reminds Me Of Emperor's New Clothes
I READ with great interest the letter from Colin Faux expressing views on the future development of Ely. It seems to me he has absolutely hit the nail on the head. The Sainsburys development is ill-conceived as regards its location. The Broad Street and
I READ with great interest the letter from Colin Faux expressing views on the future development of Ely. It seems to me he has absolutely hit the nail on the head. The Sainsburys development is ill-conceived as regards its location. The Broad Street and Back Hill junction is already over capacity according to traffic planners, and there is no cure for it. The Fore Hill and Waterside junction is no joy either. So why add to the problems by siting what is sure to be a very popular shopping addition to Ely down on Lisle Lane to be a giant car magnet?
And yes, I can confirm that both residents of The Vineyards and business owners on Fore Hill are not keen on the council's plans to develop The Vineyards into a pedestrian throughway. I both live on the Vineyards and have a shop on Fore Hill, so call me biased, but that doesn't mean my objections aren't logical. With increased numbers of pedestrians and mobility scooter users travelling down the two blind corners of The Vineyards, it's going to be a chronic nightmare for residents. And yes, reduced footfall on Fore Hill means reduced business. Why send potential shoppers up a very quiet residential street in lieu of an already existing commercial street that connects Lisle Lane to the Market Square? To save a few yards walking apparently. It's madness. People can already walk through the Vineyards to Lisle Lane exactly as it is now, so why spend the money and harass the locals?
This whole thing reminds me of the story of the Emperor's New Clothes. The fact is, however welcome Sainsbury will be in Ely, the Lisle Lane location isn't right for a new supermarket the same size as Tesco. I wish both Sainsbury and the council planners would have the courage to go back to the drawing board on this one. It's not a good decision.
- 1 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 2 Baby murder accused 'didn't say much' after life support withdrawn
- 3 Mara is Ely Standard Pet of the Year - voted for by you
- 4 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 5 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 6 Prince Charming mannequin seen in car on motorway is mistaken for a body
- 7 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 8 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 9 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 10 For Worship & Glory II exhibition coming to Ely Cathedral