Saddened BY Church Hall Comments
I HAVE been saddened, and made to feel angry, at the comments made by Colin Fordham regarding the Soham church hall sale. I am particularly shocked at the way in which he accused our fantastic vicar of destroying the town centre . Firstly, surely the chu
I HAVE been saddened, and made to feel angry, at the comments made by Colin Fordham regarding the Soham church hall sale. I am particularly shocked at the way in which he accused our fantastic vicar of "destroying the town centre". Firstly, surely the church itself is not only the centre, but rather more beautiful and welcoming than the old church hall. And secondly, the church is steeped in history and intrigue, a peaceful retreat where anyone is welcome to drop in any day of the week.
How the Community Hall Trust can possibly believe that a new hall is more important than saving our lovely church, I cannot understand. The revenue is required to proceed with essential repairs to the church roof, to secure this wonderful building for generations to come. It is not a case of financial gain at all.
If the Community Hall Trust could have raised sufficient funds in order to purchase he old hall site, then, of course, their offer would have been considered. Just because they can't raise the money, they are being unnecessarily nasty to our vicar, who in times gone by has been nothing short of a pillar of strength for this town.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 2 City’s first Asian grocery store coming to market place
- 3 Fire crews tackling woodland blaze carried pump and equipment 200 metres
- 4 Popular food delivery service Deliveroo launches in city this week
- 5 Throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 6 Transformation of empty offices into luxury flats well under way
- 7 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 8 Jail for man caught carrying meat cleaver in public after missing tools argument
- 9 Residents ‘left without a voice’ over anti-social car park behaviour
- 10 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely