Roswell pits is a dumping ground
AT last! Jeremy Tyrrell has revealed his plans for Roswell Pits – it s his rubbish dump! We have all grown familiar with the rusty hulks, trailers, pipes etc littering the water s edge since Mr Tyrrell began removing trees areas of habitat. Recently, they
AT last! Jeremy Tyrrell has revealed his plans for Roswell Pits - it's his rubbish dump!
We have all grown familiar with the rusty hulks, trailers, pipes etc littering the water's edge since Mr Tyrrell began removing trees areas of habitat. Recently, they have been joined by a floating raft full of branches and large piles of, presumably, diseased tree trunks and branches gained during yet more tree felling from Ely Marina, which is also becoming littered with rusty boats.
Even Ely Common has not escaped. The meadowland has been cut frequently during the latter end of the summer, destroying large areas of cover previously used by many birds and small mammals, resulting in the very noticeable disappearance of kestrels. If the cutting continues into the spring and early summer, the abundant grasses and wild flowers will not appear, together with thousands of butterflies, moths, dragon flies and many other species of insect.
Surely something can be done to stop further decimation of our only remaining wildlife haven?
You may also want to watch:
RITA AND DAVID BURCH
- 1 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 2 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 3 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 4 Ely named the UK’s most baby-friendly location
- 5 Nostalgic throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 6 Slimmer launches weight loss group after losing three stone
- 7 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 8 Ely man caught after nine months on the run from Suffolk prison
- 9 Second World War and SAS hero remembered with new street signs
- 10 National Trust reveal theft of 'historic items' and damage to Wimpole Hall