Ring of space
OVER the past 20 years, there have been many developments in Ely of which the city could have been prouder; in many cases the opportunities have not been fully realised. There has been expansion without adequate improvement in the infrastructure. There ha
OVER the past 20 years, there have been many developments in Ely of which the city could have been prouder; in many cases the opportunities have not been fully realised. There has been expansion without adequate improvement in the infrastructure. There have been peripheral developments, now almost ringing the city, with little cohesion. Perhaps of most concern, is that these developments have not been complemented with green space and leisure opportunities for the growing population.
I endorse the efforts of the CPRE campaign to highlight the vulnerable position of Roswell Pits. This is the calibre of wildlife site that other urban communities seek to recreate. Roswell Pits has attributes as an existing wildlife and geological site which are recognised. The challenge for us now is to conserve these at the same time as ensuring enhanced opportunities for complementary recreation and education. Our vision of this site as the jewel in the crown of a ring of open spaces around our fine city is incompatible with a marina development.
I am deeply concerned that Mr Paice has overtly declared his support for a marina development without apparently recognising the wishes of many of his constituents who believe that there is an alternative and unique opportunity.
THEODORA and JULIAN STANNING
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 2 Residents ‘left without a voice’ over anti-social car park behaviour
- 3 Dispersal order to tackle aggressive begging, street drinking and thefts
- 4 Throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 5 Jail for man caught carrying meat cleaver in public after missing tools argument
- 6 Businesses reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 7 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 8 Boat club president inspires students days after race
- 9 Freemasons make cash donation to support hospital cancer patients
- 10 Sheep saved after taking short-cut on busy rail line