REVIEW: Andrew Marr’s visit to Ely Cathedral by Rosemary Westwell
- Credit: Archant
Scottish broadcaster, journalist and ex-Cambridge University student Andrew Marr presented his new book “We British The poetry of a People” in Ely Cathedral last Wednesday.
He spoke with clarity and intelligence, giving us short excerpts of poetry that confirmed his opinion that it is through poetry that we know what people are thinking and how we can really understand people from the past.
It is no surprise that Andrew is a staunch supporter of school students having to read poetry.
Interspersed between the readings we were given insight into Andrew’s political knowledge and understanding. Corbyn, he described as ‘gracious and intelligent’, Trump as ‘dangerous’ and ‘a sharp operator’.
His prediction for the future is that it is a race between greed and fear overcoming humanity and the ingenuity of our scientists to change the world to combat this.
As with any good speaker, we were also given tastes of humour in verse and anecdotes of interesting historical characters that enlivened this unique presentation.
This fascinating talk was organized by Toppings Bookshop www.toppingsbookshop.co.uk.
- 1 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 2 Taxi firm introduce ‘hangover recovery kits’ during Christmas party season
- 3 Council's plea to protect East Cambs from Covid-19 this Christmas
- 4 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
- 5 New-look girls' team bolstered on and off the pitch
- 6 'She will be sorely missed' - Rev Teresa retires
- 7 Therapy dogs' ‘meet and greet’ in Ely raises £130 for charity
- 8 St Ives man undergoes pioneering heart treatment
- 9 Air cadet Rory given fitting farewell after loyal service
- 10 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
Andrew can be seen in his show on BBC1 and he can be listened to in Radio 4’s ‘Start the Week’ contact Twitter @AndrewMarr9 .