See inside this Georgian country house set in five acres of grounds
- Credit: Savills
Located around eight miles west of Ely in the picturesque hamlet of Sutton Gault is this substantial Georgian property.
Constructed of Cambridgeshire brick under a dormered roof, The Grove dates back to 1750.
The original house was modified in the mid-19th century in a Victorian Gothic style with characteristic arches throughout.
The property sits behind painted iron railings along a path leading to a panelled front door.
To the left of the hall is a well-proportioned drawing room with an open fireplace and a square bay with working shutters and floor to ceiling windows looking down the main lawn.
There are two further reception rooms at the front of the house – one is currently used as a welcoming snug and the other as a games room but could equally be a study or playroom.
To the rear of the property is an enviable kitchen/breakfast room with a bespoke hand painted kitchen with a wide array of shaker style units, stone work surfaces, a central island with breakfast bar and an Aga.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 4 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 5 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 6 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 7 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 8 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 9 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 10 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
Off the kitchen there is well appointed pantry, large boot room with a separate entrance (and underfloor heating) and a large WC.
At first floor level there are four bedrooms and three bathrooms (two en suite) with high quality Swaddling sanitary ware.
The principal suite is entered through a large dressing room with handmade bespoke joinery, which leads into a beautiful bedroom with garden views. This exceptional space also houses an en suite bathroom with a walk in shower and twin sinks.
An additional pair of bedrooms and shared shower room on the second floor are accessed via a separate staircase.
The gardens are a particular feature of the property, with a formal level lawn to the side of the house flanked by deep herbaceous shrub borders and a number of mature trees.
Another huge bonus is the range of period outbuildings. These include a former grain store and barn, plus some original stables. The outbuildings offer ample storage, and may provide some scope for conversion subject to any necessary consents.
In addition, there is a walled garden enclosing a tennis court, a small orchard, a green house installed by the current owners, a pergola seating area and raised flower beds.
An adjacent pasture/paddock brings the overall acreage of the property to just over five acres.
Grove House, Bury Lane, Sutton Gault
Guide price: £1,995,000
Savills, 01223 347261, www.savills.com