Power politics chaos
I AM sorry to see that as part of a wide-ranging and cost-cutting review, the district council should consider closing a public toilet in Ely. The Sacrist s Gate facility is needed for the many shoppers and visitors in the city, as we expand both the popu
I AM sorry to see that as part of a wide-ranging and cost-cutting review, the district council should consider closing a public toilet in Ely. The Sacrist's Gate facility is needed for the many shoppers and visitors in the city, as we expand both the population and the visitor numbers.
It is such a small saving too. I wonder if the review is also looking at the time and money that the constant party political bickering is costing the council?
Add up the time-wasting, correspondence, additional meetings, this all costs money.
Wouldn't a return to common sense and deciding issues on their merits by all members, irrespective of party political labels, be a welcome relief to all of us and save some money?
Likewise the use of consultants. If a review is needed of the district's sports facilities, ask the members and the parish councils, use the council's own sports development team - what else are they there for? The money spent on consultants, some £70,000, could either be a saving or would buy a considerable amount of equipment for the existing clubs or help start new ones.
It was not so long ago that members, advised by the officers, took most of the decisions without recourse to expensive consultants. But that was probably before the district council became so divided along party political lines, when members represented their wards or parishes according to their personal beliefs in what they thought was best, not to score party political points. This power game is costing the district in more ways than just financially.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 6 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 7 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 8 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 9 Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 10 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech