Postbag: Worse things than aircraft noise going on
LIKE MA Cooper I agree there are lots of things more annoying than aircraft flying over Ely. I should think residents of Soham should have more to complain about as they get take-off noise as well, depending on wind direction. When wind is in an easterly
LIKE MA Cooper I agree there are lots of things more annoying than aircraft flying over Ely. I should think residents of Soham should have more to complain about as they get take-off noise as well, depending on wind direction. When wind is in an easterly direction planes over Ely are cruising in to land, and not all that noisy, if not over Ely they may fly over Stuntney or elsewhere. What about the people living in Mildenhall or Lakenheath? I find the Eagles from Lakenheath, even when flying at great height, are the noisiest.
Mildenhall RAF aerodrome opened in 1934 and planes have been flying over Ely for more than 71 years. I note this weekend there has not been an aircraft over Ely but no doubt it is noisy in the areas around the London airports. No doubt some Ely people who complain go to the London airports for holidays abroad, without a thought for the residents in the areas of the flightpaths.
In the 1930s many people, myself included, attended Alan Cobhams' airshows in Downham Road which is a built-up area now. Many airshows took place there. Graffiti artists, cyclists on footpaths, litter and chewing gum discarded in streets, fireworks and vandalism in general are more annoying than overhead aircraft.
Gridlock near the railway station with Channel and Felixstowe traffic involved, possible water shortages, traffic congestion on the increase etc. There may be more important issues then overhead noise to complain about. On the other-hand, I think residents of Stansted should be concerned about the airport expansion with homes involved.
Name and address supplied
- 1 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 2 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 3 A10 dualling facing new challenges
- 4 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 5 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 6 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 7 New cycling and walking routes strategy approved by council
- 8 Princess Eugenie comes to town in bid to tackle modern slavery
- 9 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 10 OPINION: Soham Station fiasco about to come to a conclusion, or is it?