Postbag: Worse things than aircraft noise going on
LIKE MA Cooper I agree there are lots of things more annoying than aircraft flying over Ely. I should think residents of Soham should have more to complain about as they get take-off noise as well, depending on wind direction. When wind is in an easterly
LIKE MA Cooper I agree there are lots of things more annoying than aircraft flying over Ely. I should think residents of Soham should have more to complain about as they get take-off noise as well, depending on wind direction. When wind is in an easterly direction planes over Ely are cruising in to land, and not all that noisy, if not over Ely they may fly over Stuntney or elsewhere. What about the people living in Mildenhall or Lakenheath? I find the Eagles from Lakenheath, even when flying at great height, are the noisiest.
Mildenhall RAF aerodrome opened in 1934 and planes have been flying over Ely for more than 71 years. I note this weekend there has not been an aircraft over Ely but no doubt it is noisy in the areas around the London airports. No doubt some Ely people who complain go to the London airports for holidays abroad, without a thought for the residents in the areas of the flightpaths.
In the 1930s many people, myself included, attended Alan Cobhams' airshows in Downham Road which is a built-up area now. Many airshows took place there. Graffiti artists, cyclists on footpaths, litter and chewing gum discarded in streets, fireworks and vandalism in general are more annoying than overhead aircraft.
Gridlock near the railway station with Channel and Felixstowe traffic involved, possible water shortages, traffic congestion on the increase etc. There may be more important issues then overhead noise to complain about. On the other-hand, I think residents of Stansted should be concerned about the airport expansion with homes involved.
You may also want to watch:
Name and address supplied
- 1 Eight page enforcement notice wrapped round giant cuppa
- 2 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 3 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 4 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 5 Ely Museum team member retires after 16 years' service
- 6 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 7 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 8 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 9 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 10 'Every number is a lost life' - Worst Covid affected care homes in Cambs