Possible closure of Witchford recycling centre is another waste of taxpayers’ money
Our wonderful county councillors are at it again. It’s the same old story - the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing.
The recycling centre at Witchford has only just been opened, at a cost of £5million. It’s state of the art for everything to be recycled - industrial and household items alike.
But now it’s on the books to be closed. If that’s not wasting taxpayers’ money, I do not know what is. Our councillors must love throwing money away on a whim.
This recycling centre is needed in East Cambridgeshire. It’s first class compared to the one we had a Grunty Fen.
Where is the common sense in building a state-of-the-art recycling centre, then closing it a few months later?
If this centre closes, I can see the old scourge of the countryside returning - fly-tipping. But our councillors will probably not worry about that, so long as they can close a few things and save some more money.
If the centre is closed, what will happen to the money that’s saved? Will it be spent on some other project to close a year later?
- 1 ‘They looked fabulous’ - school’s first off-site prom a huge success
- 2 Council calls for return to mask wearing as Covid soars
- 3 Rikki Neave’s mother calls for tougher sentence for son’s murderer
- 4 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 5 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 6 'Rubberneckers' cause second crash trying to view overturned lorry
- 7 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 8 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 9 Man accused of shoplifting £3,000 of printer ink to stand trial next year
- 10 Pair trapped after A142 crash rescued from ditch