POETRY CORNER: ...’indoors all is beauty, thanks to loving care, flowers and showy linen and polish everywhere..’
- Credit: Georgi Mabee
ELY Cathedral, high rise above the Fen, With power to raise our senses, above the realms of men,
ELY Cathedral, high rise above the Fen,
With power to raise our senses, above the realms of men,
We thank our wise ancestors for their vision, and the skill,
To build a great cathedral, on so small a hill.
You may also want to watch:
They found a firm foundation, in Fenland’s soggy meres,
And organised a workforce to toil for years and years.
- 1 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 2 Throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 3 Dispersal order to tackle aggressive begging, street drinking and thefts
- 4 Residents ‘left without a voice’ over anti-social car park behaviour
- 5 Jail for man caught carrying meat cleaver in public after missing tools argument
- 6 Businesses reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 7 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 8 Boat club president inspires students days after race
- 9 Freemasons make cash donation to support hospital cancer patients
- 10 Photos of the Week: Views along the river and sun-kissed skylines
They did not have computers, to gauge the structural strains,
Nor hard hats to protect them,
They used their brawn and brains.
The heavy beams and blocks of stone,
Were carved and heaved by hand.
Blisters and cracked fingers?
Maybe broken bones,
They did not leave a record of the blood on these old stones.
The Hand of God in manifest in Ely’s towering walls,
Now modern hands, with ancient skills,
Ensure they do not fall.
They mend and meld from gravel to roof,
So all is sound and weather proof.
Indoors, all is beauty, thanks to loving care,
Flowers, and showy linen, and polish everywhere.
We love you, holy haven,
And give thanks to all who care,
That we may pause and ponder,
In peace, and quiet prayer.