Please Fight to Save To Save Ely's Fine Assets
IN your last edition, there was a letter headed Nothing Can Save Post Offices which troubled me deeply. I set out below a few words to try and rebut the tenor of your correspondent s comments and to encourage the people of Ely and district to fight for
IN your last edition, there was a letter headed 'Nothing Can Save Post Offices' which troubled me deeply. I set out below a few words to try and rebut the tenor of your correspondent's comments and to encourage the people of Ely and district to fight for the assets that the city has.
Dear editor, madam, may I please
With hand on heart and bending knees
Request room in your fine paper
To mention the post office closure caper
A lengthy letter in your last issue
- 1 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 2 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 3 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 4 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 5 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 6 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 7 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
- 8 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 9 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 10 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
with me struck a discordant note
"Nothing can save the post offices "
is what your correspondent wrote
"Due to a Directive from Brussels
post office closures are inevitable
no point in petitioning or protesting
It is sad I know and truly regrettable".
Friends, there is an old naval tradition
It's true I heard this from my Mum
When England is in grave danger
You will hear Francis' Drake's drum
Well I have heard the drum in Ely
last night beside the River Ouse
I heard the muffled roll of drum beat
And knew the faceless ones were loose.
To say that PO closure is inevitable
is to beg the question so they say
nothing in this world is inevitable
unless you want it to be that way
So come then yeomen of England
remember Cressy and Agincourt
fight for the courthouse and post office
or they WILL take away a lot more.
But please do not just fight to retain
the fine assets of our lovely town
demand the things that you want
to add more jewels to our city's crown.