Please Do Not Give us Wheelie Bins
THE whole issue of recycling in the district is contentious and is open to numerous solutions. Without entering into the environmental debate to recycle or incinerate (to produce energy) can we consider the immediate local problems of method and costs? D
THE whole issue of recycling in the district is contentious and is open to numerous solutions.
Without entering into the environmental debate to recycle or incinerate (to produce energy) can we consider the immediate local problems of method and costs?
District councillors have debated the alternatives for several years and some councillors are hell bent on using wheelie bins, irrespective of cost. Council tax payers should be made aware of the cost of such schemes, both capital and running costs.
To provide each household with one bin would cost several hundreds of thousands of pounds. The subsidies offered by the county council would also increase Council Tax.
You may also want to watch:
Of course, one bin is not the final solution to recycling. Two, three or more bins of different colours can be seen across the county.
Where there are small or no front gardens lines of bins disfigure the streets and present hazards and targets for arsonists. For all their inadequacies, black bags and boxes represent the most economic and friendly solution to recycling.
- 1 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 2 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 3 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 4 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 5 Company ‘paralysed by Brexit’ forced to open warehouse in Holland
- 6 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 7 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 8 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 9 Environment Agency seize 52 illegal fishing devices from region’s rivers
- 10 East Cambridgeshire is ‘home to the noisiest neighbours in the country’
Please, councillors of East Cambs, do not embark on a bin scheme even if the alternative means reverting to dustbins.