Please Do Not Give us Wheelie Bins
THE whole issue of recycling in the district is contentious and is open to numerous solutions. Without entering into the environmental debate to recycle or incinerate (to produce energy) can we consider the immediate local problems of method and costs? D
THE whole issue of recycling in the district is contentious and is open to numerous solutions.
Without entering into the environmental debate to recycle or incinerate (to produce energy) can we consider the immediate local problems of method and costs?
District councillors have debated the alternatives for several years and some councillors are hell bent on using wheelie bins, irrespective of cost. Council tax payers should be made aware of the cost of such schemes, both capital and running costs.
To provide each household with one bin would cost several hundreds of thousands of pounds. The subsidies offered by the county council would also increase Council Tax.
Of course, one bin is not the final solution to recycling. Two, three or more bins of different colours can be seen across the county.
Where there are small or no front gardens lines of bins disfigure the streets and present hazards and targets for arsonists. For all their inadequacies, black bags and boxes represent the most economic and friendly solution to recycling.
- 1 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 2 Taxi firm introduce ‘hangover recovery kits’ during Christmas party season
- 3 Council's plea to protect East Cambs from Covid-19 this Christmas
- 4 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
- 5 New-look girls' team bolstered on and off the pitch
- 6 'She will be sorely missed' - Rev Teresa retires
- 7 Therapy dogs' ‘meet and greet’ in Ely raises £130 for charity
- 8 St Ives man undergoes pioneering heart treatment
- 9 Air cadet Rory given fitting farewell after loyal service
- 10 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
Please, councillors of East Cambs, do not embark on a bin scheme even if the alternative means reverting to dustbins.