Plans To Develop Ely Need Some Urgency
IN response to Cllr Jeremy Friend-Smiths letter (Jan 29), I am glad that he has at last acknowledged the need for a long-term Masterplan to take Ely through the next two decades, but still not the urgency it seems. With two years public consultation alre
IN response to Cllr Jeremy Friend-Smiths letter (Jan 29), I am glad that he has at last acknowledged the need for a long-term Masterplan to take Ely through the next two decades, but still not the urgency it seems. With two years' public consultation already under our belt, how much longer would he have us wait before we act to stop Ely being carved up by unelected property speculators?
We are running out of space and if we pontificate much longer it will be too late.
Jeremy and his wife are justly proud of Jubilee Gardens; it is a delight and the city owes them a lot for their contribution in bringing it about. But is this all we are to be offered in return for the housing bonanza that overwhelmed past councils on which they both served? Wouldn't a country park, a livelier riverside, improved sports facilities, better shops, a bypass and most important of all, quality employment to sustain a self sufficient community be quite nice as well?
Old Ely should be benefiting hugely from its growing population and there is no reason at all why the developers should have it all their own way as has happened in the past.
With recession confirmed, maybe even, deflation a possibility and all the horrible social ills that will result, this is no time to be whipping up complacency. There is work to be done.
- 1 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 2 Baby murder accused 'didn't say much' after life support withdrawn
- 3 Mara is Ely Standard Pet of the Year - voted for by you
- 4 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 5 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 6 Prince Charming mannequin seen in car on motorway is mistaken for a body
- 7 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 8 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 9 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 10 For Worship & Glory II exhibition coming to Ely Cathedral
Conservative District Councillor, Ely East