Plans To Develop Ely Need Some Urgency
IN response to Cllr Jeremy Friend-Smiths letter (Jan 29), I am glad that he has at last acknowledged the need for a long-term Masterplan to take Ely through the next two decades, but still not the urgency it seems. With two years public consultation alre
IN response to Cllr Jeremy Friend-Smiths letter (Jan 29), I am glad that he has at last acknowledged the need for a long-term Masterplan to take Ely through the next two decades, but still not the urgency it seems. With two years' public consultation already under our belt, how much longer would he have us wait before we act to stop Ely being carved up by unelected property speculators?
We are running out of space and if we pontificate much longer it will be too late.
Jeremy and his wife are justly proud of Jubilee Gardens; it is a delight and the city owes them a lot for their contribution in bringing it about. But is this all we are to be offered in return for the housing bonanza that overwhelmed past councils on which they both served? Wouldn't a country park, a livelier riverside, improved sports facilities, better shops, a bypass and most important of all, quality employment to sustain a self sufficient community be quite nice as well?
Old Ely should be benefiting hugely from its growing population and there is no reason at all why the developers should have it all their own way as has happened in the past.
You may also want to watch:
With recession confirmed, maybe even, deflation a possibility and all the horrible social ills that will result, this is no time to be whipping up complacency. There is work to be done.
- 1 Covid ban on collecting CCTV says police after cycle theft
- 2 On hottest day of the year hospital 'put me in a store room for over two hours'
- 3 Glass artist's angel wings sculpture is a poignant tribute
- 4 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 5 Father's Day messages inside this week's newspaper
- 6 Hancock admits QEH 'in serious need of improvement' but makes no promises
- 7 Letter: Final call to book Covid vaccination
- 8 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 9 A nostalgic look at Ely and Cambridgeshire
- 10 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
Conservative District Councillor, Ely East