Pits expansion will be good for growing city
I would like to turn the clock back to 1947 when the whole area of the Fens were flooded, owing to the high tides and the banks giving way due to pressure of water, and in and out of these so called Roswell Pits. The gault was dug out of perfectly good me
I would like to turn the clock back to 1947 when the whole area of the Fens were flooded, owing to the high tides and the banks giving way due to pressure of water, and in and out of these so called Roswell Pits.
The gault was dug out of perfectly good meadows at the time, and no one batted an eyelid as it was something that had to done. The army and prisoners blocked the breaches again, and in and out of those pits came hundreds of barges full of this gault clay, which is just the right type of clay for river banks.
Over the years these pits were laid to rest, the birds and the wild flowers made it their home and the sailing club was born.
Now Jeremy Tyrrell has put money where his mouth is and wants to see some returns. Other people who are moaning had the same chance to buy it.
You may also want to watch:
But let's wait and see. I am sure he will make it most interesting for people to walk around and the birds and animals will still be there because where there are people there is food. It will even bring more wildlife. Just look at your A10 bypass, it's full of life.
This will also bring more trade to the shops in Ely, boats need boat chandlers and repairs.
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 3 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 4 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 5 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 6 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 7 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 8 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 9 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 10 Superb acting, singing and dancing at KD Theatre musical
I do not see 500 boats there all at once and all I can see that Mr Tyrrell has done wrong is digging a trench for services.
So come on, you stick in the muds, Ely is expanding. Are you going to protest when they start building from the bypass down to Chettisham and take in all those fields? It's going to happen soon. So we need leisure places like boats on the river.
The sailing area is very important for leisure as well, and I am sure Mr Tyrrell will make it much better for sailing. He has not said at any time that he wants the sailing club out.
In fact, he is saying is the opposite. He knows the club will also bring trade to Ely.