Pie In The Sky Ideas Won't Safeguard Pits For Our Children's Future
WITH reference to Russ Malster s comments on Roswell Pits he reminds me of the Brussels bureaucrats, by saying he is over-joyed with the SSSI that means the pits are now a place that can never be touched only to be looked at from a distance. The SSSI has
WITH reference to Russ Malster's comments on Roswell Pits he reminds me of the Brussels bureaucrats, by saying he is over-joyed with the SSSI that means the pits are now a place that can never be touched only to be looked at from a distance.
The SSSI has more power over our elected councillors. These quangos all seem to have powers beyond elected councillors. I just wonder Mr Malster how old you are, and how long you have been in Ely? I came to live in Ely permanently in 1950, that's 59 years ago as a young ex soldier who just got married to a local girl, like many of my age group we settled here and it's a lovely city. All my wife's family worked for then Great Ouse Catchment Board that dug all the gault out of those pits, but before that in 1947 as I travelled to Ely from Norwich to see my girl friend all around Ely was in deep flood as the river had burst its banks and flooded thousands of acres of land. So the pits were then going full blast to get the gault out to seal the breaks; and barges were loaded in the pits and towed out by tugs, as lots of people went down to see them working, seven days a week till the gaps in the river banks were sealed, I did not see your name then in the papers saying you can't do that, you will kill all the wildlife and frighten the Bitterns away. There were none there. There wasn't a tree there then not even the sailing club, and no one was allowed to the pits then as they were dangerous. Children were told not to go over there.
People like Mr Malster have pie in the sky ideas. Jeremy Tyrell has bought the pits with his own money and until he bought them no-one cared. Mr Tyrell is just trying to make the place safe for people to walk around and for pensioners to travel with their eclectic buggies. The narrow boats are colourful and people will also go and look at them and for the wildlife as well. I think Mr Tyrell has been very patient with all the people like you who have been moaning. If you don't like what he is doing, make him an offer that he can't refuse and the pits will be yours. If not, please shut up as the people of Ely are sick to death with a few people who cannot see what can be achieved for our children in the future.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 'Dedicated' PCSO retires after 12 years amid force funding cuts
- 2 Outcry over new road which will pass through woodland
- 3 You can now watch Ely Cathedral’s rare Peregrine Falcons live 24/7
- 4 Tyler Goodjohn ready to enter lion's den in world title bid
- 5 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 6 Letters: How could we afford 120 police officers for boat race?
- 7 Motorcycle firm gearing up to show off lockdown project
- 8 Government plans at-home tablet to 'stop the virus in its tracks'
- 9 Offensive graffiti: ‘Hate crimes have no place in Cambridgeshire’
- 10 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown