Paying the price for the USAF over here
FOR those people who welcome the USAF flights buzzing and polluting our air quality when they dump tons of aviation fuel, I wonder if they thought for a moment what cargo was being transported. Perhaps human cargo en-route to a detention centre never t
FOR those people who welcome the USAF flights buzzing and polluting our air quality when they 'dump' tons of aviation fuel, I wonder if they thought for a moment what cargo was being transported.
Perhaps human cargo en-route to a detention centre never to be heard of again; perhaps weaponry to kill a few more; let's all pray one of the bomb carriers doesn't have a mishap over Ely.
Some may have fond memories of the Second World War when nylons and chewing gum were freely handed out by the American soldiers. Those days are now gone - 60 years in the past and we have an abundance of both products.
It is true, however, that there really is no such thing as a free lunch and we, the British taxpayer of 2006, are paying a fortune for those freebies of yester-year in the form of the SOFA agreement, which allows every US service member and family members to pay no council tax while here, both as active duty or indeed as a retiree staying here into old age.
You may also want to watch:
Add to that no road tax for the first year, tax free petrol, no VAT on anything - shall I go on?
If you consider the free education, healthcare and social services that they can take advantage of here on a non-contributory basis, asking for a B52-free day on a Sunday should not be beyond possibilities.
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 3 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 4 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 5 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 6 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 7 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 8 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 9 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 10 Superb acting, singing and dancing at KD Theatre musical