Parking charges introduced elsewhere have had little effect on shops
HOW pleasant it was to read the real story behind the car parking charges from Jeremy Friend-Smith and Rupert Moss-Eccardt as opposed to the Tory trivia touted by the politicking Bradney family.
Surely a period of silence is required now from Matt Bradney - it was he after all who spearheaded the misguided bus which runs from Huntingdon to Cambridge and cost the taxpayer £181million!
There have been car parking charges in Saffron Walden, Essex, and Marlborough, Wiltshire, for many years though the effect on shops is marginal.
If councillors really wish to represent us then they should refuse any more applications for new housing estates in this district unless there is enough parking for two or more cars in every driveway and wider streets for visitor parking, or a double garage which can take a Volvo and not a Mini.
Councillors have the power in their own hands to sort out these ongoing problems - and on 2 May we the electorate have the power to vote them in or out of office.
John Amner Close
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 4 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 5 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 6 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 7 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 8 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 9 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 10 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success