Parade was in keeping with tradition
I was very disappointed to see Mr Keating s inaccurate comment on the Mercer Troop participation in the Ely Remembrance parade this year. Since the early 60s, it has been the tradition that the non-serving elements of the parade, such as the Royal Brit
I was very disappointed to see Mr Keating's inaccurate comment on the "Mercer Troop" participation in the Ely Remembrance parade this year.
Since the early 60s, it has been the tradition that the non-serving elements of the parade, such as the Royal British Legion, regimental associations and youth organisations, parade to the Cathedral, where they join the regular and TA units and everyone else for the Remembrance Service.
Afterwards. the Regular and TA units lead the parade to Market place for wreath laying. That is exactly what happened this year.
No units were denied access to the parade. Indeed, the president of the City of Ely Branch of the Legion has received a personal letter from the commanding officers of the units, expressing thanks for the welcome and support given to the soldiers both during and after the parade.
You may also want to watch:
The Royal British Legion is the UK's leading charity, supporting 11 million eligible serving and ex-service men, women and their dependants.
I can re-assure Mr Keating that we are immensely proud of our serving and ex-service men and women, all of whom we welcome to our remembrance of the sacrifices that so many made - and continue to make. For our tomorrow they gave their today.
- 1 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 2 Fears for historic vicarage council fought to save
- 3 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 4 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 5 Large illegal knife and 45 cannabis plants found in police raid
- 6 Transformation of empty offices into luxury flats well under way
- 7 City’s first Asian grocery store coming to market place
- 8 Former homeless recreate ‘Lunch atop a Skyscraper’ photograph
- 9 College and sixth form's 'gold' rating for 'outstanding' mental health provision
- 10 Photo memories of the late Prince Philip projected onto house
Royal British Legion