Parade was in keeping with tradition
I was very disappointed to see Mr Keating s inaccurate comment on the Mercer Troop participation in the Ely Remembrance parade this year. Since the early 60s, it has been the tradition that the non-serving elements of the parade, such as the Royal Brit
I was very disappointed to see Mr Keating's inaccurate comment on the "Mercer Troop" participation in the Ely Remembrance parade this year.
Since the early 60s, it has been the tradition that the non-serving elements of the parade, such as the Royal British Legion, regimental associations and youth organisations, parade to the Cathedral, where they join the regular and TA units and everyone else for the Remembrance Service.
Afterwards. the Regular and TA units lead the parade to Market place for wreath laying. That is exactly what happened this year.
No units were denied access to the parade. Indeed, the president of the City of Ely Branch of the Legion has received a personal letter from the commanding officers of the units, expressing thanks for the welcome and support given to the soldiers both during and after the parade.
The Royal British Legion is the UK's leading charity, supporting 11 million eligible serving and ex-service men, women and their dependants.
I can re-assure Mr Keating that we are immensely proud of our serving and ex-service men and women, all of whom we welcome to our remembrance of the sacrifices that so many made - and continue to make. For our tomorrow they gave their today.
- 1 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 2 Cinderella makes a comeback thanks to Players' Christmas pantomime
- 3 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 4 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 5 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 6 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 7 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 8 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 9 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 10 Huge spike in safety complaints due to 'bedroom sellers' during pandemic
Royal British Legion