Over-development warnings fell on deaf ears for decades
WE lived in Ely for 40 years, and during that time witnessed a small and initially rather grey-looking town undergo steady development and improvement. In the last 20 years or so, however, many will remember that amidst strong protest from residents, majo
WE lived in Ely for 40 years, and during that time witnessed a small and initially rather grey-looking town undergo steady development and improvement. In the last 20 years or so, however, many will remember that amidst strong protest from residents, major plans went ahead under the name of progress, to improve and expand the town's facilities further or, it was said, 'Ely would die'.
We now have the result - Ely's increasing parking problems and traffic congestion are the direct result of too many people, and warnings and concerns were expressed to the council then that over-development could result in this small historic town choking to death. How many extra residents are now in the "building-block" housing estates mushrooming towards the Littleport by-pass? People are already calling it Trumpton. Did Ely really want the tag fastest-growing city in Europe?
And now, surprise, surprise, the resulting parking and traffic congestion has to be addressed! Another case of simple logic being ignored, with politics once again rearing its ugly head. Alas, I have no solutions to offer. I well remember the sterling efforts of Mary Edwards heading the campaign regarding the cathedral paddock in 1986, and Ely should consider itself fortunate in having her on-board once again. Where would England be without people like Mary Edwards?
Although no longer a resident, I have the Ely Standard mailed to me, and will be following the campaign with great interest. I wish Ely the very best of luck ......
now of North Norfolk
- 1 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 2 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 3 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 4 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 5 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 6 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 7 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 8 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 9 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 10 Pedestrian killed crossing road