Over-development warnings fell on deaf ears for decades
WE lived in Ely for 40 years, and during that time witnessed a small and initially rather grey-looking town undergo steady development and improvement. In the last 20 years or so, however, many will remember that amidst strong protest from residents, majo
WE lived in Ely for 40 years, and during that time witnessed a small and initially rather grey-looking town undergo steady development and improvement. In the last 20 years or so, however, many will remember that amidst strong protest from residents, major plans went ahead under the name of progress, to improve and expand the town's facilities further or, it was said, 'Ely would die'.
We now have the result - Ely's increasing parking problems and traffic congestion are the direct result of too many people, and warnings and concerns were expressed to the council then that over-development could result in this small historic town choking to death. How many extra residents are now in the "building-block" housing estates mushrooming towards the Littleport by-pass? People are already calling it Trumpton. Did Ely really want the tag fastest-growing city in Europe?
And now, surprise, surprise, the resulting parking and traffic congestion has to be addressed! Another case of simple logic being ignored, with politics once again rearing its ugly head. Alas, I have no solutions to offer. I well remember the sterling efforts of Mary Edwards heading the campaign regarding the cathedral paddock in 1986, and Ely should consider itself fortunate in having her on-board once again. Where would England be without people like Mary Edwards?
Although no longer a resident, I have the Ely Standard mailed to me, and will be following the campaign with great interest. I wish Ely the very best of luck ......
You may also want to watch:
now of North Norfolk
- 1 Hundreds sign petition in support of pub's cup of positivi-tea
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 6 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
- 7 Photographer Dan flies high after winning national competition
- 8 Handcuffed duo prepare to make London Marathon history
- 9 What are the outstanding and good schools in Cambridgeshire?
- 10 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named