On yer bike
AS it was such a lovely day on Sunday I cycled down to the ploughing match at Middle Mere Farm. (The fact that the boss had gone out in the car was a big factor in me getting on my bike). There were several tractors of varying vintages driven by ploughme
AS it was such a lovely day on Sunday I cycled down to the ploughing match at Middle Mere Farm. (The fact that the boss had gone out in the car was a big factor in me getting on my bike).
There were several tractors of varying vintages driven by ploughmen of equally varying vintages and varying levels of skill.
One person trying his hand was Nathan Cross of Ely using David Seal's 1936 Case Dex fitted with a Ransome's RSLM plough. The event was purely for pleasure and was followed by a barn dance in the evening to raise money for Alzheimer's Research and the Soham Museum Project.
On the way back, I thought I'd take a short cut through the new estate off The Shade. It's a good, direct route from the industrial estate to the main road, which is probably why it's still blocked off. The road isn't too bad, although still lacking a proper topcoat, but the paths are very poor.
Presumably, the people living on the estate are paying the due Council Tax, but only getting part of the service they deserve. Now where have we heard of that sort of thing before?
I then had a nice gentle ride through town. Until just before Godbold's corner, that is. I'd just like to tell the chap who crept up behind me in his 4X4 and laid on the horn that my heart's beating at the right rate again now.
- 1 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 2 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 3 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 4 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 5 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 6 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 7 Nuisance caller flouted court order day after prison release
- 8 Everything you need to know about Ely Cathedral's Christmas Gift & Food Fair 2021
- 9 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 10 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
As I got a bit further south I noticed that time seems to have stood still. It has if you rely on the church clock, at any rate. Surely it's time to bring back Dennis as the regular clock winder or is it going to be converted to digital?
I also noticed that someone still loves the church hall. The graffiti has been washed off. Not only does it stop it looking a compete mess, it probably makes it a more attractive purchase...