On the way to Forum
TONIGHT (Thursday) the Soham Town Forum is holding its annual open meeting in the Community Lounge at Lodeside, from 7.30pm. You might wonder just what the Forum gets up to and what its function is. I ve been to several meetings and I still wonder at tim
TONIGHT (Thursday) the Soham Town Forum is holding its annual open meeting in the Community Lounge at Lodeside, from 7.30pm.
You might wonder just what the Forum gets up to and what its function is. I've been to several meetings and I still wonder at times, but we can all see what they've achieved in the last 12 months if we nip along to the open meeting tonight.
One of the things that they have been working on is getting the railway station opened again.
Some would have you believe that it never functioned after the war-time explosion, but those of us who enjoyed day trips to Hunstanton in the 50s and 60s know better.
You may also want to watch:
The Soham to Hunstanton trip had stations at both ends, now neither exists. If proof of the post-war Soham station is needed it is available at the library. There is a collection of photographs of the railways around the town in a large frame including several of the station and the shed from which the papers were distributed.
- 1 BBC camera crews hosted by Ely Business Park during Boat Race
- 2 Wildlife-loving boy, 9, saves six abandoned ducklings
- 3 Sheep saved after taking short-cut on busy rail line
- 4 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 5 More anti-Semitic graffiti appears in Ely
- 6 Bodybuilding world champion raises £540 ahead of charity beauty pageant
- 7 'We plotted our downfall' admits boss after five-goal cup thriller
- 8 Artist's poignant painting in memory of HRH Prince Philip
- 9 Charity chief executive raises £646 by running 252 miles in 71 days
- 10 Letters: Bishop's prayer, bell salute, litter problems and search for family