Ode to Sluice
I heard the Town Crier shout The Sluice is on the loose! When last seen was standing On the banks of the Great Ouse I raced along the riverbank And found the lonely Sluice Staring in thoughtful silence at the waters of the Great Ouse What is your mis
I heard the Town Crier shout
The Sluice is on the loose!
When last seen was standing
On the banks of the Great Ouse
You may also want to watch:
I raced along the riverbank
And found the lonely Sluice
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 3 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 4 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 5 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 6 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 7 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 8 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 9 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 10 Superb acting, singing and dancing at KD Theatre musical
Staring in thoughtful silence
at the waters of the Great Ouse
What is your mission Sluice?
Why are you standing here?
You have got to have a purpose
But to me it is not clear.
Can you be a radio telescope?
So that we can track the stars
Or perhaps to confirm
That there really is life on Mars
But you may be a NASA vehicle
to take us deep into outer space
so we can ponder in wonder
the origins of the human race
But Sluice spoke not a word
Not a sound did the structure utter
It left me in confusion
to make enquiries at the Cutter
What is this structure stranger
I ask a person standing nearby
Why is the lonely Sluice over there
pointing toward the sky?
He turned away without a look
And deigned me no reply
Leaving me in puzzlement
To stare and wonder why
If Sluice had a pair of feet
it suddenly occurred to me
we could go off together
foot-sluice and fancy free.
But yet to me it is all a puzzle
Why Sluice is standing there
The reason for its artistic existence
Is simply far from clear
So Sluice I say this to you
Tho citizens of Ely do wince
May angels take you to your rest
Sleep tight my inanimate Prince