I CONTINUE to be shocked at what the new owner is seemingly able to do at Ely s Roswell Pits without legal actions like stop notices or injunctions being served by the Conservative-controlled East Cambs District Council. As a former district councillor, I
I CONTINUE to be shocked at what the new owner is seemingly able to do at Ely's Roswell Pits without legal actions like stop notices or injunctions being served by the Conservative-controlled East Cambs District Council.
As a former district councillor, I am amazed at the lack of local leadership that the council is taking on securing the public benefit of this site. It would seem the recent election-time message to 'vote blue' actually makes people see red rather than 'go green'.
On enquiring as a county councillor for Ely on the potential for harm to the county-designated Wildlife Site, I'm told by county council staff that this has no protection as such under Acts of Parliament and instead provides for a set of policies that the district council should take into account when considering any planning application; it also seems to rely on the attitude of the owner. That would be the same owner from whom we await a publicly long-promised planning application.
You may also want to watch:
Lib Dem county councillor for Ely S&W
- 1 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 4 SAS ‘original’ Reg Seekings to feature in book
- 5 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 6 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 7 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 8 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 9 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 10 ‘Distressed cries’ of beagles fuel animal research unit protest