I CONTINUE to be shocked at what the new owner is seemingly able to do at Ely s Roswell Pits without legal actions like stop notices or injunctions being served by the Conservative-controlled East Cambs District Council. As a former district councillor, I
I CONTINUE to be shocked at what the new owner is seemingly able to do at Ely's Roswell Pits without legal actions like stop notices or injunctions being served by the Conservative-controlled East Cambs District Council.
As a former district councillor, I am amazed at the lack of local leadership that the council is taking on securing the public benefit of this site. It would seem the recent election-time message to 'vote blue' actually makes people see red rather than 'go green'.
On enquiring as a county councillor for Ely on the potential for harm to the county-designated Wildlife Site, I'm told by county council staff that this has no protection as such under Acts of Parliament and instead provides for a set of policies that the district council should take into account when considering any planning application; it also seems to rely on the attitude of the owner. That would be the same owner from whom we await a publicly long-promised planning application.
You may also want to watch:
Lib Dem county councillor for Ely S&W
- 1 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 4 Everything you need to know about Mad Hatters eco festival
- 5 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 6 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 7 Second World War and SAS hero remembered with new street signs
- 8 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 9 Election 2021: Counting gets under way in East Cambridgeshire
- 10 Footballer hopes Wembley 'dream' can bolster Cambridge career