No-one wants to clear our paths!
PERHAPS your readers who are interested in the saga of the removal of the A-boards from the streets of Ely, would like to hear what happened after I wrote to Cambridgeshire County Council. I addressed the letter to the person who was quoted in your newspa
PERHAPS your readers who are interested in the saga of the removal of the A-boards from the streets of Ely, would like to hear what happened after I wrote to Cambridgeshire County Council. I addressed the letter to the person who was quoted in your newspaper saying that the A-boards were removed because the council had a duty to keep the pedestrian-ways clear.
I asked why, if that is the case, cars remain parked over and on the pavement in the High Street. I eventually received a letter back from somebody different, increasing my fears that no-one wants to be totally responsible for anything today and will just pass it on.
Well, it turns out that inconsiderately parked cars on pavements are not their department - cars are for the police.
What depresses me is that no-one seems to want to co-ordinate the clearing of pavements. I was told that they would pass on my comments, but not do anything - and they even suggested that I go and see the police myself!
I thought these people were paid to do these jobs for us! How stupid of me, after all, once the A-boards are removed, the streets are clear so far as highways and access is concerned. I wrote back and said I do not expect them to talk to the police about it, but I presume once the police see that cars are obstructing the pavement they will pick them up and impound them, charging the owners who want them back, as was done with the A-boards.
HILARY van de WATERING
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 4 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 5 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 10 Corporal lines up world record 135km paddleboard trek for 'gleaming' Bobby
St Mary's Court