No need to dumb down’ the services
I WAS a member of the old Isle of Ely Fire Service. We were equipped with fire appliances and equipment which was in use in the Second World War, much of it past its sell-by date. We did our best and the public appreciated what we did. The comradeship w
I WAS a member of the old Isle of Ely Fire Service. We were equipped with fire appliances and equipment which was in use in the Second World War, much of it past its sell-by date.
We did our best and the public appreciated what we did. The comradeship was second to none. We went through the same changes as the police (ref: Geoff Smith's letter).
We received better equipment, were well-trained and there was commitment by all ranks. What do we have today? A superb fire and rescue service. The first in the country, owing to its changing role, to introduce rescue into its name. A lead followed by many others.
The old county ambulance service, staffed by very dedicated personell, was also a little neglected. The duty night driver took the ambulance and parked it outside his home. I can remember him covering the windscreen with a blanket in the winter.
You may also want to watch:
They were replaced by the East Anglia Ambulance Service, a well-trained service using paramedics and high-speed response vehicles as well as ambulances, now meeting most of their targets.
With good leadership and commitment you do not need to "dumb down". Unfortunately it is not only the Government, as we are led to believe, but a large number of the public who have no love of the police.
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 3 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 4 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 5 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 6 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 7 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 8 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 9 Superb acting, singing and dancing at KD Theatre musical
- 10 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
May we hope if a new larger force is formed, it will follow the other emergency services and improve and not "dumb down".
Good luck to the boys and especially the ladies in blue! I still love ya!
Isle of Ely