National Trust's Scheme Is Crazy
THE National Trust s people have delivered three more glossy brochures/leaflets about their so-called Wicken Vision to my mailbox and, presumably, to hundreds of others. One of the leaflets, entitled Ambling with Animals, is particularly interesting t
THE National Trust's people have delivered three more glossy brochures/leaflets about their so-called 'Wicken Vision' to my mailbox and, presumably, to hundreds of others.
One of the leaflets, entitled Ambling with Animals, is particularly interesting to me, as a 95 per cent retired farmer living close enough to the so-called Vision to see what is going on.
The Trust claims that the recently introduced large grazing animals, Konik polski horses and Highland cattle (real old Fen breeds, eh?), are important to the Vision as managing such a substantial area (of former food-growing land) with machinery is not "climate friendly or sustainable". Perhaps the Trust's people will explain to your readers why it is that large machinery is being used on the Trust's land as I write to cut down what must be an embarrassing amount of rubbish and thistles.
And the leaflet rightly warns visitors to beware of the large animals. I am wondering what the Trust wants. Visitors? They are scared stiff. Wildlife? It is suffering from the cutting that's going on right now. To work amicably alongside its farming neighbours? They are receiving weed seeds on the wind from the Trust's land.
This scheme is crazy and we locals, farmers and non-farmers, are appalled by what the Trust is already doing to us.
- 1 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 2 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 3 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 4 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 5 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 6 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 7 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 8 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 9 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 10 Everything you need to know about Ely Cathedral's Christmas Gift & Food Fair 2021