MPs Views On Land Production And Wicken Fen Are Welcome
I REFER to your article MP calling for re-think on Wicken Fen Vision and provision of land for food production , published on March 4. We welcome the fact that someone who has been so involved in the development of the Conservative Party s strategy for
I REFER to your article 'MP calling for re-think on Wicken Fen Vision and provision of land for food production', published on March 4.
We welcome the fact that someone who has been so involved in the development of the Conservative Party's strategy for agriculture has taken an interest in this project in relation to the wider public benefits; balancing food production and the environment. It is particularly pleasing that their strategy takes a position that is based on the environmental underpinning of agriculture. Food production is not a black and white confrontation with the environment; it is a complex global issue that will need understanding, consideration and joined up thinking.
We were fortunate to welcome Lord Smith, chairman of the Environment Agency, to Wicken Fen in February to celebrate World Wetlands Day and host a discussion with the NFU, local farmers and the Environment Agency on balancing food production and enhancement of the natural environment in the Fens.
We have invited MP Jim Paice to Wicken Fen in order to facilitate a similar discussion and allay any concerns he may have about the long-term aims of the Wicken Fen Vision. We would encourage anyone who wants to find out more about the aims of the Wicken Fen Vision to log onto www.wicken.org.uk
You may also want to watch:
Property Operations Manager
- 1 Councillors praised for 'tireless' illegal encampment work
- 2 East Cambs could be getting five new walking routes
- 3 Former deputy mayor wants to move Newmarket to Cambridgeshire
- 4 Round one to High Flyer after highways gives thumbs up to giant mug
- 5 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologises after 90mph police pursuit
- 6 Our weekly round-up of what Ely Standard readers have to say
- 7 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 8 Foodbank receives ‘kind’ cash donation from housebuilder
- 9 Leader’s reminder of human cost of £100k homes fall-out
- 10 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
National Trust Wicken Fen