Massive Overeaction To Traders' Licence Application
I HAVE been a resident of Annesdale for a substantial number of years now, and witnessed the gradual and natural metamorphosis of the area; agreeably for the better. However, there appears to be a massive over-reaction to the debate of whether street trad
I HAVE been a resident of Annesdale for a substantial number of years now, and witnessed the gradual and natural metamorphosis of the area; agreeably for the better. However, there appears to be a massive over-reaction to the debate of whether street traders' licences should be issued in the area. Why not? 'The flood gates would be opened for all kinds of undesirables, generating noise, smells and heaps of litter' as quoted by Patricia Simmons in an article last week. I think not!
Frequently there are many noises generated at the band stand by a variety of musicians, whether it is modern rock music or brass bands, and either genre may not be everyone's cup of tea, but this is still noise generation. I hear nobody complain about the frequent drunks using not only Jubilee Gardens but also Cherry Hill Park, and making a fairly unsociable noise, and not forgetting to mention the litter and broken glass left behind. The parks are also open to regular local events which cannot be classed as quiet, odour free or litter free.
The Ely riverside area has become a huge tourist attraction, as is the cathedral, and I feel it is only polite to offer our guests who may have travelled some distance, a small variety of affordable and alternative refreshments. After all not all families with children are able to afford to dine out in pubs and restaurants, nor are they always practical places to have large quantities of children. Most other towns in the UK and Europe are capable of offering tourists and locals more variety. Why can't Ely?
In summary, I feel that the council is more than competent to allow only a small number of traders, who will have been vetted first, to trade useful commodity, and impose basic rules, such as hygiene, general cleanliness, and zero noise emission.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 3 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 4 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 5 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 6 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 7 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 8 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 9 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 10 Superb acting, singing and dancing at KD Theatre musical