Local Residents Need To Watch Polyclinic Plan
WHILE the debate and arguments continue about the Local Development Plan, the Masterplan and Ely s long term future, another more insidious plan threatens our future. The Government Health Minister Lord Darzi is recommending setting up polyclinics through
WHILE the debate and arguments continue about the Local Development Plan, the Masterplan and Ely's long term future, another more insidious plan threatens our future.
The Government Health Minister Lord Darzi is recommending setting up polyclinics throughout England. These GP staffed monoliths would serve large populations, up to 50,000 or more with 20/25 GP's and specialists providing diagnostic testing, minor surgery and dental services.
It is proposed that these polyclinics would provide an appointment system and walk-in visits. The minister lists advantages such as 8am until 8pm hours and more extensive and 'immediate' treatments.
Without detailed specialist information about the costs, staffing and siting of the polyclinics it is difficult to challenge their efficiency.
However, what might work in large urban populations is unlikely to suit sparse rural locations. How would our own 50,000 population look? Most of the district! Patients would be travelling 20 miles to visit. There would be less personal interaction with GP's.
As a cynic, I wonder what the difference is between polyclinics and cottage hospitals; ruthlessly closed.
- 1 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 2 Pair trapped after A142 crash rescued from ditch
- 3 'Rubberneckers' cause second crash trying to view overturned lorry
- 4 Village farm buildings targeted in arson attack
- 5 Have you seen Harry Gibson? He's wanted by police
- 6 Chapel conversion withdrawn following stinging rebuke
- 7 Councillors left disappointed as decision made on £37m station project
- 8 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 9 Two women fighting for life after A141 crash
- 10 Ely and Cambridge for Neil Hilgrove Colledge recitals
Local residents will need to watch these proposals with as much interest as is exhibited about the unfolding drama at the district council.