Local Residents Need To Watch Polyclinic Plan
WHILE the debate and arguments continue about the Local Development Plan, the Masterplan and Ely s long term future, another more insidious plan threatens our future. The Government Health Minister Lord Darzi is recommending setting up polyclinics through
WHILE the debate and arguments continue about the Local Development Plan, the Masterplan and Ely's long term future, another more insidious plan threatens our future.
The Government Health Minister Lord Darzi is recommending setting up polyclinics throughout England. These GP staffed monoliths would serve large populations, up to 50,000 or more with 20/25 GP's and specialists providing diagnostic testing, minor surgery and dental services.
It is proposed that these polyclinics would provide an appointment system and walk-in visits. The minister lists advantages such as 8am until 8pm hours and more extensive and 'immediate' treatments.
Without detailed specialist information about the costs, staffing and siting of the polyclinics it is difficult to challenge their efficiency.
You may also want to watch:
However, what might work in large urban populations is unlikely to suit sparse rural locations. How would our own 50,000 population look? Most of the district! Patients would be travelling 20 miles to visit. There would be less personal interaction with GP's.
As a cynic, I wonder what the difference is between polyclinics and cottage hospitals; ruthlessly closed.
- 1 Independent shop full of fresh food – despite national shortage
- 2 Christmas lights switch-on event cancelled over 'Covid uncertainty'
- 3 Mark's 27 unanswered questions over volunteers to control parking
- 4 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 5 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 6 Did you bite your husband's leg? ‘No, he knocked all my teeth out- I could not bite his leg’
- 7 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
- 8 Van driver in ‘life threatening condition’ after crash
- 9 Top Cabinet post for NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay
- 10 Man confronted in live stream cleared of all sex abuse allegations
Local residents will need to watch these proposals with as much interest as is exhibited about the unfolding drama at the district council.