Listen To The People And Stop Market Proposal In Its Tracks
WE write to protest at the cessation of the stall facilities for the market traders, which we understand is due to take place in April. This is a retrograde step however you look at it, and the actual amount to be saved would only allow you to pay one p
WE write to protest at the cessation of the stall facilities for the market traders, which we understand is due to take place in April.
This is a retrograde step however you look at it, and the actual amount to be saved would only allow you to pay one person and a teaboy, unless your staff is very underpaid indeed, so the mention of saving several jobs does not hold water.
We are aghast at the high-handed attitude which has resulted in an arbitrary decision with no consultation, no option to pay more for the pitch to include the stalls and no consideration for the local population who value the market highly. Some of the language that has been used is hardly tactful and betrays a lamentable attitude to those traders who come even if the weather is foul and provide us with all the varied food and goods, a great deal from the local area.
We quote from the celebrated Masterplan: "Proposals for market expansion: Take opportunity to expand Ely's markets, including additional specialist markets. Support additional activities on the market place, such as small daily markets, exhibitions and events."
You may also want to watch:
These new proposals hardly fit in with this, do they?
What are you proposing to do with the existing stalls? Sell them off, we suppose.
- 1 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 2 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 3 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 4 Company ‘paralysed by Brexit’ forced to open warehouse in Holland
- 5 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 6 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 7 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 8 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 9 Environment Agency seize 52 illegal fishing devices from region’s rivers
- 10 East Cambridgeshire is ‘home to the noisiest neighbours in the country’
We ask you to listen to the local population and stop this inane proposal in its tracks.
FRANK and MARGARET BOWLES