Liberal Democrat Leader Throws His Weight Behind Standard's Keep It Local Campaign
WEBSITE EXCLUSIVE By Catherine Atkinson LIBERAL Democrat leader Nick Clegg has thrown his weight behind the Ely Standard s Keep it Local campaign. Our plan to safeguard and support local traders, businesses and services has seen support from across the p
By Catherine Atkinson
LIBERAL Democrat leader Nick Clegg has thrown his weight behind the Ely Standard's Keep it Local campaign.
Our plan to safeguard and support local traders, businesses and services has seen support from across the political spectrum, with local councillors, members of the local judiciary and scores of local people coming out in support of our plans to keep Ely Magistrates' Court open, support our post offices, campaign for a community arts centre in Ely and encourage the use of local independent businesses.
You may also want to watch:
"The Ely Standard should be congratulated for its Keep it Local Campaign," said Mr Clegg. "I fully support efforts to safeguard the future of local businesses and services in Ely and across East Cambridgeshire.
"The Government's wilful neglect of small businesses is highlighted in its plan to unnecessarily close thousands of post offices across the country. The Liberal Democrats have been at the forefront of the battle to halt the closure of local post offices begun under the last Conservative Government, and are the only party with a fully-costed plan to revitalise the post office network. Your campaign to help save local post offices and other small businesses deserves every success."
- 1 100mph, 20-minute police pursuit ends with a crash – and later with jail
- 2 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 3 Jail for paedophile who booked hotel to abuse three children
- 4 Man drove round campsite 'like a rally driver' after argument
- 5 Villagers team up to honour 'a real character'
- 6 Christmas lights switch-on event cancelled over 'Covid uncertainty'
- 7 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 8 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police
- 9 Boris offers MP Lucy Frazer new role in reshuffle
- 10 Perfect end for captain Malvin after regional final glory
The Ely Standard launched its Keep It Local campaign last month and it has already won support from Conservative leader David Cameron, South East Cambridgeshire MP Jim Paice as well as local people who have been signing the petition to keep the magistrates' court open.
The campaign was launched in the week that two shops and the city's art gallery closed down.