LETTER: Wicken residents are fed up with poor bin service
Since Violia took over the contract for the waste collection route for Wicken, the residents of Lower Road have been overlooked on 14 occasions, either for recycling or black bags.
This week was the 14th time and despite persistent calls to East Cambridgeshire District Council from residents, it took two days before the bags were collected. During that time bags were moved to a variety to locations to prevent them attracting pests on the road verge and by the time they were collected they were very smelly.
The residents are getting very fed up with continually having to ring up and complain when this is a service we expect to be undertaken as part of our Council Tax payments. On a slightly different note but also with reference to Violia, the drivers of the lorry seem to show little regard to others who may be using the roads.
Some of the lanes in Wicken are quite narrow (but passable with these vehicles) and yet the drivers appear intent on getting between pick-ups as quickly as possible.
Two routes in particular are Lower Road and Lode Lane, one inside the 30 limit and one outside. Both are single track and part of the local cycle network. As a result children can regularly be expected to be encountered along these lanes as can on coming traffic.
You may also want to watch:
Instead of worrying about getting back to the depot as quickly as possible, there should be greater awareness shown of the potential for other people to be around. Do we have to wait for an accident to happen before they slow down?
- 1 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 2 Care home still 'requires improvement'
- 3 Bronze pig found at bottom of garden could be worth £10,000
- 4 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 5 Friendship and dating agency gets £114,000 funding boost
- 6 Flooding highlights outline of English Civil War fort as rain fills moat
- 7 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 8 Campaigning for those excluded from government Covid support
- 9 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 10 Grants available for organisations in Ely