LETTER: ‘We want still to keep Sunday just a little bit special’
We have a real problem on this issue in East Cambridgeshire. There are powerful interests at work behind the scenes and these powerful interests are supported by leading district councillors.
I believe that our district councillors will decide what is to happen in East Cambridgeshire (which is fair enough) but I suggest - respectfully - that our district councillors take as much notice of their electors - many of whom want to keep Sunday special for at least part of the day - as of the powerful interests who, for a variety of reasons, don’t seem to care about us.
The lead government minister on this issue is Sajid Javid MP, who was born into a Pakistani Muslim family: I wonder whether he wants to keep Fridays special.
The lead signatory on a recent Sunday trading letter (also signed by district councillor James Palmer) to the Daily Telegraph was Grant Shapps MP, who was born into a Jewish family: I wonder whether he wants to keep Saturdays special.
I am not a regular churchgoer but many of my friends are church or chapel-goers. We want still to keep Sunday just a little bit special.
- 1 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 2 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 3 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 4 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 5 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 6 Ely Rotary Club back with annual Christmas collection
- 7 Two year ban on begging for these six
- 8 Nuisance caller flouted court order day after prison release
- 9 GP practices mark ‘momentous milestone’ in Covid-19 vaccine programme
- 10 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?