LETTER: ‘We want still to keep Sunday just a little bit special’
We have a real problem on this issue in East Cambridgeshire. There are powerful interests at work behind the scenes and these powerful interests are supported by leading district councillors.
I believe that our district councillors will decide what is to happen in East Cambridgeshire (which is fair enough) but I suggest - respectfully - that our district councillors take as much notice of their electors - many of whom want to keep Sunday special for at least part of the day - as of the powerful interests who, for a variety of reasons, don’t seem to care about us.
The lead government minister on this issue is Sajid Javid MP, who was born into a Pakistani Muslim family: I wonder whether he wants to keep Fridays special.
The lead signatory on a recent Sunday trading letter (also signed by district councillor James Palmer) to the Daily Telegraph was Grant Shapps MP, who was born into a Jewish family: I wonder whether he wants to keep Saturdays special.
I am not a regular churchgoer but many of my friends are church or chapel-goers. We want still to keep Sunday just a little bit special.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Jail for bank card fraudster caught on CCTV
- 2 Prosecution threat against businesses found not to be Covid-19 secure
- 3 'Dedicated' PCSO retires after 12 years amid force funding cuts
- 4 Man who died in road crash is named
- 5 ‘Beloved’ primary school headteacher leaving after 16 years in Soham
- 6 Woman to travel 100km in her wheelchair to fundraise for autism charity
- 7 You can now watch Ely Cathedral’s rare Peregrine Falcons live 24/7
- 8 Community pharmacy teams to offer free Covid-19 test kits
- 9 Volunteer group's Covid-closure after raising £70,000 in 30 years
- 10 Jail and criminal behaviour order for woman who spat at police officer