LETTER: ‘We must act to help refugees’
- Credit: AP
I am appalled at the images of suffering refugees fleeing the war-torn regions of our world. We here in the UK are so fortunate.
I am also appalled by the lack of compassion shown by our politicians, although I understand that the public attitude towards immigration in general may have hardened their hearts to the plight of their fellow humans.
However, I believe a clear distinction can be made between economic migrants and refugees - which should be able to counter the prevailing fears about immigration.
I would beg our political leaders to “do the right thing” (as Mr Cameron so frequently says we should do) and act to help alleviate the suffering that is taking place on such a tragic scale.
I for one will be ashamed to be a citizen of the UK if we do not act to help these people.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 2 Care home still 'requires improvement'
- 3 Bronze pig found at bottom of garden could be worth £10,000
- 4 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 5 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 6 Flooding highlights outline of English Civil War fort as rain fills moat
- 7 Friendship and dating agency gets £114,000 funding boost
- 8 Campaigning for those excluded from government Covid support
- 9 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 10 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer