LETTER: ‘We must act to help refugees’
- Credit: AP
I am appalled at the images of suffering refugees fleeing the war-torn regions of our world. We here in the UK are so fortunate.
I am also appalled by the lack of compassion shown by our politicians, although I understand that the public attitude towards immigration in general may have hardened their hearts to the plight of their fellow humans.
However, I believe a clear distinction can be made between economic migrants and refugees - which should be able to counter the prevailing fears about immigration.
I would beg our political leaders to “do the right thing” (as Mr Cameron so frequently says we should do) and act to help alleviate the suffering that is taking place on such a tragic scale.
I for one will be ashamed to be a citizen of the UK if we do not act to help these people.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 'Dedicated' PCSO retires after 12 years amid force funding cuts
- 2 Jail for bank card fraudster caught on CCTV
- 3 Prosecution threat against businesses found not to be Covid-19 secure
- 4 You can now watch Ely Cathedral’s rare Peregrine Falcons live 24/7
- 5 Man who died in road crash is named
- 6 Woman to travel 100km in her wheelchair to fundraise for autism charity
- 7 Outcry over new road which will pass through woodland
- 8 ‘Beloved’ primary school headteacher leaving after 16 years in Soham
- 9 Volunteer group's Covid-closure after raising £70,000 in 30 years
- 10 Letters: How could we afford 120 police officers for boat race?