LETTER: ‘We must act to help refugees’
- Credit: AP
I am appalled at the images of suffering refugees fleeing the war-torn regions of our world. We here in the UK are so fortunate.
I am also appalled by the lack of compassion shown by our politicians, although I understand that the public attitude towards immigration in general may have hardened their hearts to the plight of their fellow humans.
However, I believe a clear distinction can be made between economic migrants and refugees - which should be able to counter the prevailing fears about immigration.
I would beg our political leaders to “do the right thing” (as Mr Cameron so frequently says we should do) and act to help alleviate the suffering that is taking place on such a tragic scale.
I for one will be ashamed to be a citizen of the UK if we do not act to help these people.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 4 SAS ‘original’ Reg Seekings to feature in book
- 5 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologised after 90mph police pursuit
- 6 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 7 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 8 Power boats thrill crowds at river races
- 9 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 10 Health chief’s stark warning: ‘The virus doesn’t care we changed the rules’