LETTER: Thank-you Ely for helping to make the world free from polio
On behalf of Ely Hereward Rotary Club can I thank all those who contributed so generously to our collection on Friday for the ‘End Polio Now’ campaign.
We raised £230, and with the 2:1 contribution from the Bill and Melissa Gates Foundation that will provide £690 towards wiping out the last remnants of polio from the world.
It is 50 years since the last cases occurred in the UK but several local people said that they had had it or knew someone who had and were only too familiar with the dreadful effects of this disease.
And while polio still exists it can return. There are just two countries left – as our posters said we are ‘this close’ to a world free of polio.
Thanks to everyone for helping to make it even closer.
You may also want to watch:
President Ely-Hereward Rotary Club
- 1 Eight page enforcement notice wrapped round giant cuppa
- 2 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
- 3 'Support this local attraction,’ MP urges on museum visit
- 4 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 5 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 6 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 7 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 8 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 9 Ely Museum team member retires after 16 years' service
- 10 9 hidden gems of East Anglia by rail from Cambridgeshire