LETTER: Thank-you Ely for helping to make the world free from polio
On behalf of Ely Hereward Rotary Club can I thank all those who contributed so generously to our collection on Friday for the ‘End Polio Now’ campaign.
We raised £230, and with the 2:1 contribution from the Bill and Melissa Gates Foundation that will provide £690 towards wiping out the last remnants of polio from the world.
It is 50 years since the last cases occurred in the UK but several local people said that they had had it or knew someone who had and were only too familiar with the dreadful effects of this disease.
And while polio still exists it can return. There are just two countries left – as our posters said we are ‘this close’ to a world free of polio.
Thanks to everyone for helping to make it even closer.
You may also want to watch:
President Ely-Hereward Rotary Club
- 1 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 2 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 3 Ely Cathedral's Covid-19 vaccination centre application was turned down
- 4 Flooding highlights outline of English Civil War fort as rain fills moat
- 5 Number of fatal injuries caused on our roads ‘remains far too high’
- 6 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 7 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 8 Nobody home as police force entry after reports of drugs activity
- 9 Keep a birds-eye view on resident Peregrine falcons by watching webcam
- 10 NHS worker breaks ribs, ankle and fractures leg in four car pile-up