LETTER: Thank-you Ely for helping to make the world free from polio
On behalf of Ely Hereward Rotary Club can I thank all those who contributed so generously to our collection on Friday for the ‘End Polio Now’ campaign.
We raised £230, and with the 2:1 contribution from the Bill and Melissa Gates Foundation that will provide £690 towards wiping out the last remnants of polio from the world.
It is 50 years since the last cases occurred in the UK but several local people said that they had had it or knew someone who had and were only too familiar with the dreadful effects of this disease.
And while polio still exists it can return. There are just two countries left – as our posters said we are ‘this close’ to a world free of polio.
Thanks to everyone for helping to make it even closer.
You may also want to watch:
President Ely-Hereward Rotary Club
- 1 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of assault
- 3 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 4 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 5 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 6 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 7 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 8 Woman transforms lockdown 'art retreat' into her own business
- 9 Here’s what the post-lockdown pub experience will look like
- 10 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list