LETTER: Prickwillow artists say massive thank-you after raising £3,500 for refugees
- Credit: Archant
Thank you Ely Standard for featuring our fundraising event last weekend, at which we collected donations to the Syrian Refugee Fund of Save the Children.
Over £3,500 was donated, and in return many of our paintings, drawings, and a few pots found new homes, to be enjoyed, rather than hidden away in our folders or boxes, too many to be on show in our own home
We thank all those friends who came to make such a worthwhile contribution. We also thank all those friends and neighbours who helped on the day, from Daisy (8) and Lily (10) who made the visitors feel at home, offering biscuits and sticker badges, to Margot’s cousin from New Zealand and his wife who were there with a helping hand or a cup of tea for us, since we were busy with visitors all the time we were open.
More of our neighbours kept the money in order and looked after the wrapping. Without their help we would have collapsed.
It was interesting that we met people, doing other things to help the refugees. One is working to encourage councils and other bodies to prepare to look after refugees that make it to our area. Another, a medical professional, goes to the camps at Calais to take supplies and at the same time undertaking urgent treatment for the injured.
A ray of light in an otherwise dark scene.
We thank you all.
- 1 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 2 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 3 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 4 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 5 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 6 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 7 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 8 Frustration for Ely City is United's gain as unbeaten home run ends
- 9 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 10 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
MARGOT AND DEREK ANDREWS