LETTER: ‘Parents who sneer and say they are glad they didn’t send their kids to college isn’t helpful’
Ely College has always had the reputation of being a ‘dump’ or not a great school, so it was brilliant when they received a ‘good’ inspection when they did.
It’s disheartening for parents who were kept in the dark how things have gone downhill and for some of us we are stuck with our catchment school, so to have parents sneer at us and say they’re glad they didn’t send their kids there isn’t helpful.
But just to give an example of how my eldest son did at this ‘dump’ school, he started when it wasn’t a ‘good’ Ofsted school and he achieved maths GCSE a year early with an A*, went on to do further maths and got an A, he also received A*s in English language and English literature, geography, art, biology, physics, chemistry and A in economics and French.
Not bad for a school everybody classed as a dump when he started, so I see no reason why Ely College cannot turn themselves around and be good again.
My son is now at Southampton University studying an integrated Masters degree, this is on the foundation of Ely College.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 2 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 3 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 4 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 5 Mayor's ‘hop-on hop-off' public travel revolution
- 6 A141 closed after motorcycle crash
- 7 Author opens school’s new library
- 8 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 9 Village housing in disarray after all the trustees quit
- 10 Town considers home for market