LETTER: ‘Parents who sneer and say they are glad they didn’t send their kids to college isn’t helpful’
Ely College has always had the reputation of being a ‘dump’ or not a great school, so it was brilliant when they received a ‘good’ inspection when they did.
It’s disheartening for parents who were kept in the dark how things have gone downhill and for some of us we are stuck with our catchment school, so to have parents sneer at us and say they’re glad they didn’t send their kids there isn’t helpful.
But just to give an example of how my eldest son did at this ‘dump’ school, he started when it wasn’t a ‘good’ Ofsted school and he achieved maths GCSE a year early with an A*, went on to do further maths and got an A, he also received A*s in English language and English literature, geography, art, biology, physics, chemistry and A in economics and French.
Not bad for a school everybody classed as a dump when he started, so I see no reason why Ely College cannot turn themselves around and be good again.
My son is now at Southampton University studying an integrated Masters degree, this is on the foundation of Ely College.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 2 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 3 Flooding highlights outline of English Civil War fort as rain fills moat
- 4 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 5 Ely Cathedral's Covid-19 vaccination centre application was turned down
- 6 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 7 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 8 Number of fatal injuries caused on our roads ‘remains far too high’
- 9 Vaccinated nurse tells of 'incredibly stressful' situation
- 10 Nobody home as police force entry after reports of drugs activity