LETTER: MPs should be given talking to over railway line photograph
- Credit: IAN BURT
As a retired railwayman, I was more than appalled to see the photo in the Ely Standard today (October 1), the same as Eastern Daily Press featured on Saturday last, of two people who showed total ignorance when trespassing on the railway at Ely North Junction, with their backs towards any on coming train and no high visibility vests worn as all rail staff must do when on or about the line.
As for the photographer, I can’t comment as it is obvious he/she can’t be seen.
My hope, yet surely doubtful it will happen, is for British Transport Police have a very strong word with the two MPs involved being Elizabeth Truss and George Freeman, about their unlawful activity on the lines.
It will only take youngsters to follow suit and then get killed with outcry as to why MPs can get away with it, regardless of ensuring no trains were due to pass-by.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Tributes paid to school matron who died from Covid-19
- 2 People power brings about changes to £800,000 roundabout scheme
- 3 Student defies challenges of pandemic to achieve first class degree
- 4 Retired GP's death 'avoidable' if cause of severe chest pain was 'more thoroughly investigated'
- 5 Alcohol shoplifter threatened security staff with large blade
- 6 Shop worker 'abused and reduced to tears' after denying couple entry due to Covid-19 restrictions
- 7 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 8 London man jailed for running drugs line between Cambs and capital
- 9 Health scare inspired slimmer’s incredible 10 stone weight loss
- 10 Driver peers out of Range Rover while trying to cross flooded Welney Wash