LETTER: MPs should be given talking to over railway line photograph
- Credit: IAN BURT
As a retired railwayman, I was more than appalled to see the photo in the Ely Standard today (October 1), the same as Eastern Daily Press featured on Saturday last, of two people who showed total ignorance when trespassing on the railway at Ely North Junction, with their backs towards any on coming train and no high visibility vests worn as all rail staff must do when on or about the line.
As for the photographer, I can’t comment as it is obvious he/she can’t be seen.
My hope, yet surely doubtful it will happen, is for British Transport Police have a very strong word with the two MPs involved being Elizabeth Truss and George Freeman, about their unlawful activity on the lines.
It will only take youngsters to follow suit and then get killed with outcry as to why MPs can get away with it, regardless of ensuring no trains were due to pass-by.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 2 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 3 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 4 Ely named the UK’s most baby-friendly location
- 5 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 6 Nostalgic throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 7 Second World War and SAS hero remembered with new street signs
- 8 Everything you need to know about Mad Hatters eco festival
- 9 Ely man caught after nine months on the run from Suffolk prison
- 10 Slimmer launches weight loss group after losing three stone