LETTER: MPs should be given talking to over railway line photograph
- Credit: IAN BURT
As a retired railwayman, I was more than appalled to see the photo in the Ely Standard today (October 1), the same as Eastern Daily Press featured on Saturday last, of two people who showed total ignorance when trespassing on the railway at Ely North Junction, with their backs towards any on coming train and no high visibility vests worn as all rail staff must do when on or about the line.
As for the photographer, I can’t comment as it is obvious he/she can’t be seen.
My hope, yet surely doubtful it will happen, is for British Transport Police have a very strong word with the two MPs involved being Elizabeth Truss and George Freeman, about their unlawful activity on the lines.
It will only take youngsters to follow suit and then get killed with outcry as to why MPs can get away with it, regardless of ensuring no trains were due to pass-by.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Hundreds sign petition in support of pub's cup of positivi-tea
- 3 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 4 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 5 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 6 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 7 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 8 10-year-old's sponsored hair cut for Little Princess Trust
- 9 Handcuffed duo prepare to make London Marathon history
- 10 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack