LETTER: MPs should be given talking to over railway line photograph
- Credit: IAN BURT
As a retired railwayman, I was more than appalled to see the photo in the Ely Standard today (October 1), the same as Eastern Daily Press featured on Saturday last, of two people who showed total ignorance when trespassing on the railway at Ely North Junction, with their backs towards any on coming train and no high visibility vests worn as all rail staff must do when on or about the line.
As for the photographer, I can’t comment as it is obvious he/she can’t be seen.
My hope, yet surely doubtful it will happen, is for British Transport Police have a very strong word with the two MPs involved being Elizabeth Truss and George Freeman, about their unlawful activity on the lines.
It will only take youngsters to follow suit and then get killed with outcry as to why MPs can get away with it, regardless of ensuring no trains were due to pass-by.
- 1 Taxi firm introduce ‘hangover recovery kits’ during Christmas party season
- 2 Government clearance needed for £200,000 year role for Eileen
- 3 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 4 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
- 5 Busy road near RAF Lakenheath reopens after five-vehicle crash
- 6 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 7 Neighbour and PCSO prevent £4,000 fraud
- 8 Council's plea to protect East Cambs from Covid-19 this Christmas
- 9 Frying High! National honours for Ely at potato awards
- 10 'She will be sorely missed' - Rev Teresa retires