LETTER: Ely southern by-pass seems to ‘have gone off the agenda lately’
So the ‘Bah Humbug’ festival is behind us and now, all we have to look forward to is the New Year.
Many folk will be potless as we approach 2016 which, of course, is a Leap Year - so we’ll have an extra day in which to worry about the bills.
I have a sneaking suspicion that petrol prices will go up, not because the commodity is cheaper but because George Gideon Osborne will find it very tempting.
It is also interesting to note that the much vaunted meeting following the delay in the upgrading of Ely North Junction is to be held in Downham Market of all places.
Now, with all due respect to that lovely Norfolk town I would have hoped it might have been held here or in Cambridge thus attracting more attention. Maybe that’s the plan folks - keep the objectors away.
Finally, it’s interesting that matters pertaining to the Ely southern by-pass have gone off the agenda lately.
At one point it was expected to open in 2015 but, as we approach 2016 not a sod has been dug and, if I were a betting man I would not wager any of my hard earned cash on a date earlier than 2018. If I wanted to lose my money I would back Jeremy Corbyn to become Prime Minister instead.
- 1 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 2 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 3 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 4 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 5 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 6 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 7 Nuisance caller flouted court order day after prison release
- 8 Everything you need to know about Ely Cathedral's Christmas Gift & Food Fair 2021
- 9 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 10 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall