LETTER: Ely southern by-pass seems to ‘have gone off the agenda lately’
So the ‘Bah Humbug’ festival is behind us and now, all we have to look forward to is the New Year.
Many folk will be potless as we approach 2016 which, of course, is a Leap Year - so we’ll have an extra day in which to worry about the bills.
I have a sneaking suspicion that petrol prices will go up, not because the commodity is cheaper but because George Gideon Osborne will find it very tempting.
It is also interesting to note that the much vaunted meeting following the delay in the upgrading of Ely North Junction is to be held in Downham Market of all places.
Now, with all due respect to that lovely Norfolk town I would have hoped it might have been held here or in Cambridge thus attracting more attention. Maybe that’s the plan folks - keep the objectors away.
You may also want to watch:
Finally, it’s interesting that matters pertaining to the Ely southern by-pass have gone off the agenda lately.
At one point it was expected to open in 2015 but, as we approach 2016 not a sod has been dug and, if I were a betting man I would not wager any of my hard earned cash on a date earlier than 2018. If I wanted to lose my money I would back Jeremy Corbyn to become Prime Minister instead.
- 1 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 4 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 5 Fears for historic vicarage council fought to save
- 6 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 7 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 8 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 9 COLUMN: 'Expansion' the future for Ely rowing club
- 10 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments