LETTER: Councillors should be ‘disbarred’ from debating or voting on Barton Road homes application
The proposal to build 11 houses on the Barton Road car park in Ely has clearly angered a large number of people and almost 200 have written to the council to object.
This is a sensitive area and no sensible alternative has been offered for parking the many coaches which now use the car park.
The application clearly cannot be delegated to the planning officers to decide and it will be referred to the planning committee, probably in March.
However, if members of the planning Ccommittee have a financial or prejudicial interest, by law they are forbidden to take part in the debate or to vote.
As the council owns the land and has submitted the application, all councillors should accordingly be disbarred. End of story?
You may also want to watch:
This is clearly embarrassing, as finance is needed for the leisure centre and other expensive projects; the situation may well arise again, if the council wishes to sell other sites it owns, such as public open space or recreational areas.
- 1 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 2 Dr Nik in Ely for his first day as Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Mayor
- 3 Have your say on Network Rail increasing rail capacity through Ely
- 4 Man suspected to have stolen '£300-400' of alcohol in store theft
- 5 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 6 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 7 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 8 Eggs from Peregrine Falcons nesting on Ely Cathedral rooftop hatch
- 9 Railways to royalty - a nostalgic look at Ely and Cambridgeshire
- 10 Punch in face leaves man with fractured nose