LETTER: Councillors should be ‘disbarred’ from debating or voting on Barton Road homes application
The proposal to build 11 houses on the Barton Road car park in Ely has clearly angered a large number of people and almost 200 have written to the council to object.
This is a sensitive area and no sensible alternative has been offered for parking the many coaches which now use the car park.
The application clearly cannot be delegated to the planning officers to decide and it will be referred to the planning committee, probably in March.
However, if members of the planning Ccommittee have a financial or prejudicial interest, by law they are forbidden to take part in the debate or to vote.
As the council owns the land and has submitted the application, all councillors should accordingly be disbarred. End of story?
You may also want to watch:
This is clearly embarrassing, as finance is needed for the leisure centre and other expensive projects; the situation may well arise again, if the council wishes to sell other sites it owns, such as public open space or recreational areas.
- 1 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 2 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 3 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 4 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 5 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 6 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 7 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 8 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 9 Superb acting, singing and dancing at KD Theatre musical
- 10 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby