LETTER: Councillors should be ‘disbarred’ from debating or voting on Barton Road homes application
The proposal to build 11 houses on the Barton Road car park in Ely has clearly angered a large number of people and almost 200 have written to the council to object.
This is a sensitive area and no sensible alternative has been offered for parking the many coaches which now use the car park.
The application clearly cannot be delegated to the planning officers to decide and it will be referred to the planning committee, probably in March.
However, if members of the planning Ccommittee have a financial or prejudicial interest, by law they are forbidden to take part in the debate or to vote.
As the council owns the land and has submitted the application, all councillors should accordingly be disbarred. End of story?
This is clearly embarrassing, as finance is needed for the leisure centre and other expensive projects; the situation may well arise again, if the council wishes to sell other sites it owns, such as public open space or recreational areas.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 4 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 5 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 6 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 7 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 10 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700