LETTER: Council could set up a hit squad to blitz trouble-spots
This problem seems endemic in and around Wisbech.
Down New Drove there are piles of cans. There are probably four solutions to this problem:
• The area either needs policing and fines given out to offenders as a deterrent.
• Bins could be provided which would need emptying regularly.
• Local people could volunteer to routinely clean the area.
• The council could set up a hit squad to blitz littered areas when they are reported.
I personally favour option four. I have seen this work in other areas, in between waiting for reports council pickers could clean each area on a rota basis.
- 1 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 2 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 3 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 4 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 5 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 6 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 7 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 8 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 9 Frustration for Ely City is United's gain as unbeaten home run ends
- 10 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
The cost would have to be met collectively through the Council Tax but it would be a small price to pay to see our town restored to its former glory so that people could again take pride in.