LETTER: Council could set up a hit squad to blitz trouble-spots
This problem seems endemic in and around Wisbech.
Down New Drove there are piles of cans. There are probably four solutions to this problem:
• The area either needs policing and fines given out to offenders as a deterrent.
• Bins could be provided which would need emptying regularly.
• Local people could volunteer to routinely clean the area.
You may also want to watch:
• The council could set up a hit squad to blitz littered areas when they are reported.
I personally favour option four. I have seen this work in other areas, in between waiting for reports council pickers could clean each area on a rota basis.
- 1 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 2 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologised after 90mph police pursuit
- 3 'We have a duty to follow planning policies': Council's firm stance over pub's giant mug
- 4 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 5 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 6 Power boats thrill crowds at river races
- 7 First homes approved for Waterbeach Barracks
- 8 Health chief’s stark warning: ‘The virus doesn’t care we changed the rules’
- 9 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 10 SAS ‘original’ Reg Seekings to feature in book
The cost would have to be met collectively through the Council Tax but it would be a small price to pay to see our town restored to its former glory so that people could again take pride in.