LETTER: Council could set up a hit squad to blitz trouble-spots
This problem seems endemic in and around Wisbech.
Down New Drove there are piles of cans. There are probably four solutions to this problem:
• The area either needs policing and fines given out to offenders as a deterrent.
• Bins could be provided which would need emptying regularly.
• Local people could volunteer to routinely clean the area.
• The council could set up a hit squad to blitz littered areas when they are reported.
I personally favour option four. I have seen this work in other areas, in between waiting for reports council pickers could clean each area on a rota basis.
- 1 Cambridgeshire man kicked and headbutted police officers
- 2 Casualty treated for smoke inhalation following house fire
- 3 Have your say on proposed commercial development in Ely
- 4 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 5 Headteacher ‘extremely proud’ after school receives games mark award
- 6 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Newmarket for Cambs County Day
- 7 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 8 Vehicle fire caused heavy traffic on A14
- 9 County Day hopes to shine light on young farmers of Cambridgeshire
- 10 Take part in survey on how council should address substandard housing
The cost would have to be met collectively through the Council Tax but it would be a small price to pay to see our town restored to its former glory so that people could again take pride in.