LETTER: Council could set up a hit squad to blitz trouble-spots
This problem seems endemic in and around Wisbech.
Down New Drove there are piles of cans. There are probably four solutions to this problem:
• The area either needs policing and fines given out to offenders as a deterrent.
• Bins could be provided which would need emptying regularly.
• Local people could volunteer to routinely clean the area.
You may also want to watch:
• The council could set up a hit squad to blitz littered areas when they are reported.
I personally favour option four. I have seen this work in other areas, in between waiting for reports council pickers could clean each area on a rota basis.
- 1 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 2 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 3 Car hits A14 barrier near Newmarket
- 4 NHS worker breaks ribs, ankle and fractures leg in four car pile-up
- 5 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 6 Retirement complex proposals encounter a sticky situation
- 7 Housing first battleground in mayor elections for Cambridgeshire
- 8 Win vouchers to spend at supermarket
- 9 Village’s community Co-op will open next month after New Year delays
- 10 Dad of two killed on Fen road
The cost would have to be met collectively through the Council Tax but it would be a small price to pay to see our town restored to its former glory so that people could again take pride in.