LETTER: Could it be that political considerations have trumped road safety?
As a former ward councillor for Haddenham, I was pleased to see that a much needed crossing for pedestrians is finally to be constructed.
A prominent local Councillor, Gareth Wilson, has campaigned for this for a number of years and I am sure that he is also pleased for the village community.
Strange then that the local County Councillor, Bill Hunt, should not have thrown his weight behind the campaign much earlier.
Could it be that political considerations have trumped road safety, a Liberal democrat could not be seen to achieve something, but now that Conservatives are in place suddenly a good idea can be claimed and acted upon.
It almost seems as if the timing of this good news was pitched perfectly for walking in the spring, is there an election coming up?
- 1 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 2 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 3 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 4 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 5 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 6 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 7 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 8 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 9 Frustration for Ely City is United's gain as unbeaten home run ends
- 10 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series