LETTER: Can anyone help with information on Mr Toad and Ely courtroom?
I wonder whether I can test the memories of some of your readers, to help me with some local research I am undertaking?
It has been said that the courtroom in Ely’s courthouse was used as the inspiration for the scene in ‘The Wind In The Willows’ with illustrations by E H Shepherd, where Mr Toad is hauled before the magistrate.
My question is ‘How do we know this is definitely true?’ So far I have not been able to find anything to back this claim up.
If any of your readers has any information I would love to hear from them
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 2 Care home still 'requires improvement'
- 3 Bronze pig found at bottom of garden could be worth £10,000
- 4 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 5 Flooding highlights outline of English Civil War fort as rain fills moat
- 6 Friendship and dating agency gets £114,000 funding boost
- 7 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 8 Campaigning for those excluded from government Covid support
- 9 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 10 Grants available for organisations in Ely