LETTER: Can anyone help with information on Mr Toad and Ely courtroom?
I wonder whether I can test the memories of some of your readers, to help me with some local research I am undertaking?
It has been said that the courtroom in Ely’s courthouse was used as the inspiration for the scene in ‘The Wind In The Willows’ with illustrations by E H Shepherd, where Mr Toad is hauled before the magistrate.
My question is ‘How do we know this is definitely true?’ So far I have not been able to find anything to back this claim up.
If any of your readers has any information I would love to hear from them
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 4 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 5 Amazing escape for driver in A11 crash
- 6 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 7 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 8 Van driver in ‘life threatening condition’ after crash
- 9 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 10 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos