LETTER: Barton Road plans are confused and confusing
The planning application by East Cambs District Council (ECDC) for the partial redevelopment of Barton Road car park is confused and confusing.
Firstly it was made a few days before Christmas. One can only assume that the timing was such hoping people would not have noticed it during the festive season because it was so controversial.
Secondly the proposed redevelopment means that the coach park would have to be relocated. I have heard that Market Street was a possibility where coaches could stop for a limited time so people may disembark or embark. Another suggestion was a small lay-by along the Cambridge Road.
It has to be remembered that coach drivers need proper facilities. Both these ideas have I believe been withdraw as unworkable.
An alternative site is yet to be found. Ely is a tourist destination for thousands of people across the country and tourism brings a considerable amount of money into the city.
You may also want to watch:
One would have thought that tourists and tour operators deserve better treatment.
Thirdly the planning department published an application a few days ago asking for permission to extend Barton Road car park.
- 1 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 2 City’s first Asian grocery store coming to market place
- 3 Fire crews tackling woodland blaze carried pump and equipment 200 metres
- 4 Transformation of empty offices into luxury flats well under way
- 5 Popular food delivery service Deliveroo launches in city this week
- 6 Throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 7 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 8 Jail for man caught carrying meat cleaver in public after missing tools argument
- 9 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely
- 10 Residents ‘left without a voice’ over anti-social car park behaviour
Land on the other side of ‘Centre E’ which is presently being used as a council store to be turned into a car park. Before the ink was dry on the application it was withdrawn.
I would have hoped that ECDC would have had the courtesy to the people of Ely and all those who use the Barton road car park to properly formulate their plans and proposals before the application was submitted. Selling one of the town’s prime assets will create more problems in the short and long term.